When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. Ancestry®, the global leader in family history, empowers journeys of personal discovery to enrich lives. With our unparalleled collection of more than 40 billion records, over 3 million subscribers and over 23 million people in our growing DNA network, customers can discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Over the past 40 years, we’ve built trusted relationships with millions of people who have chosen us as the platform for discovering, preserving and sharing the most important information about themselves and their families.
We are committed to our location flexible work approach, allowing you to choose to work in the nearest office, from your home, or a hybrid of both (subject to location restrictions and roles that are required to be in the office- see the full list of eligible US locations HERE). We will continue to hire and promote beyond the boundaries of our office locations, to enable broadened possibilities for employee diversity.
Together, we work every day to foster a work environment that’s inclusive as well as diverse, and where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued so that our products and services reflect the global and diverse clients we serve.
Ancestry encourages applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans and all other qualified applicants. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? Join the curious.
We are seeking a Senior Data Science QA Engineer with strong Java and big data skills who will be responsible for ensuring the quality and reliability of our data science projects through the creation and execution of automated tests. The ideal candidate should have experience working in a data science or analytics environment as well as a deep understanding of JSON. Experience with AWS or other cloud providers is also preferred. Additionally, the ideal candidate should have a proven track record of troubleshooting and debugging complex systems using all available tools and techniques to identify and resolve issues.
This is a highly rewarding opportunity for the right candidate, as you will be working with some of the best and brightest engineers and data scientists around, produce code that is vital to the success of these massive projects and have a real impact on the quality of the final product. Artificial intelligence is not just the future, it is the present, and you will have a front row seat as this disruptive technology transforms our world.
- Create and execute automated integration tests for our data science products, ensuring that they are accurate and reliable
- Work with the data science engineering team to identify areas for testing and develop a testing strategy that aligns with the team’s goals
- Understand the projects in depth, ensuring that tests are covering all required scenarios and edge cases
- Collaborate with the development team to create and maintain testing frameworks and infrastructure
- Investigate and troubleshoot complex issues found during testing, working with developers to identify and resolve the root cause and using all available tools and techniques to identify and resolve issues
- Continuously improve our testing processes and methodologies, keeping up with the latest industry trends and best practices
- Work with cloud infrastructure to create and execute integration tests, ensuring that they are accurate and complete
- 5-8 years of experience in software testing, with a focus on back-end automation.
- Strong programming skills in Java with experience creating integration tests, not just UI/Selenium automation.
- Good working knowledge of a variety of data formats such as JSON, CSV, TSV, etc.
- Ability to read and understand data flow and sequence diagrams
- Producing high quality, maintainable code is vital. Knowledge of and experience with standard Java patterns, including the Java Streams API, is a must
- Experience working with JSON datasets. Ability to programmatically transform data between different formats and extract specific values for validation.
- Experience working with AWS or other cloud providers highly desirable but not required
- Familiarity with Java linting tools and other code quality tools
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills, with the ability to use all available tools and techniques to identify and resolve issues
- Basic familiarity with data science concepts and techniques, with the ability to understand and test data pipelines and algorithms
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with developers, data scientists, and other stakeholders
This Senior Data Science QA Engineer role is a key position in our organization, and we are looking for a highly skilled and motivated candidate to join our team. If you have experience in software testing, a strong understanding of Java, and are familiar with AWS and data science concepts, we encourage you to apply for this position.
As a signatory of the ParityPledge in Support of Women and the ParityPledge in Support of People of Color, Ancestry values pay transparency and pay equity. We are pleased to share the base salary range for this position: $68,000 - $191,000 with eligibility for bonus, equity and comprehensive benefits including health, dental and vision. The actual salary will vary by geographic region and job experience. We will share detailed compensation data for a specific location during the recruiting process. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.ancestrybenefits.com/.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.