When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. Ancestry®, the global leader in family history, empowers journeys of personal discovery to enrich lives. With our unparalleled collection of more than 40 billion records, over 3 million subscribers and over 23 million people in our growing DNA network, customers can discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Over the past 40 years, we’ve built trusted relationships with millions of people who have chosen us as the platform for discovering, preserving and sharing the most important information about themselves and their families.
We are committed to our location flexible work approach, allowing you to choose to work in the nearest office, from your home, or a hybrid of both (subject to location restrictions and roles that are required to be in the office- see the full list of eligible US locations HERE). We will continue to hire and promote beyond the boundaries of our office locations, to enable broadened possibilities for employee diversity.
Together, we work every day to foster a work environment that’s inclusive as well as diverse, and where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued so that our products and services reflect the global and diverse clients we serve.
Ancestry encourages applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans and all other qualified applicants. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? Join the curious.
We are hiring an Associate Operations Manager to join our centralized Data Science & Engineering Team. Reporting to our Sr. Director, you will be a leading contributor bringing together teams to solve Ancestry’s toughest and most exciting data science challenges. You will have access to Ancestry’s unique content collections and data spanning centuries across various media channels.
We are seeking a dynamic and detail-oriented Associate Operations Manager to join our Data Science and Data Engineering team. As an Associate Operations Manager, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the seamless operation of our data-related projects and initiatives. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Program Managers, Product Managers and Business Stakeholders, to optimize processes, manage deadlines, and drive the successful delivery of data-driven solutions. This is an excellent opportunity for a proactive and organized professional who thrives in a fast-paced, data-focused environment.
What you will you do…
- Help the cross-functional project teams deliver the initiatives on time
- Track progress to success criteria and report on KPI and operating metrics
- Work with cross functional teams like Business, Data Scientist, Data Science Engineering, Machine Learning Ops, UI teams and other partners across the company providing Data Science support for multiple projects
- Collaborate with the data science and data engineering teams to streamline processes, identify bottlenecks, and implement improvements to enhance operational efficiency while standardized operating procedures
- Assist in resource allocation, to ensure that projects are adequately staffed for successful execution
- Coordinate and track the progress of data science and data engineering projects. Monitor project timelines, milestones, and deliverables to ensure timely completion
- Identify potential risks and issues in initiative execution and escalate them to the appropriate stakeholders. Collaborate on risk mitigation strategies and contingency plans
- Facilitate effective communication among team members, ensuring that all relevant parties are informed about project updates, changes, and requirements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date project documentation, including project plans, technical specifications, and progress reports. Ensure that documentation follows established standards and guidelines
- Engage with business stakeholders to gather requirements, understand their needs, and communicate project progress. Act as a bridge between technical teams and non-technical stakeholders
- Collaborate with quality assurance teams to define testing strategies, and ensure the solution passes the quality standard before deployment
Who you are…
- Proven experience (2 years) in project coordination, operations management, or a similar role within a data-centric environment
- Excellent project management and written and verbal communication skills
- Expert with Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Spreadsheet, Rally
- Expert in agile and scrum methodology
- Experience translating success criteria into requirements, building a detailed milestone plan, tracking progress, and reporting on risk
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Analytics or Equivalent
- Excellent facilitation skill
- Exposure to Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence technology projects
- Strong understanding of data science and data engineering concepts and workflows
- Excellent organizational and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities and manage ambiguity in a fast-paced setting
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.