Data Scientist, Summer 2024 InternFull time
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. Ancestry®, the global leader in family history, empowers journeys of personal discovery to enrich lives. With our unparalleled collection of more than 40 billion records, over 3 million subscribers and over 23 million people in our growing DNA network, customers can discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Over the past 40 years, we’ve built trusted relationships with millions of people who have chosen us as the platform for discovering, preserving and sharing the most important information about themselves and their families.
Together, we work every day to foster a work environment that’s inclusive as well as diverse, and where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued so that our products and services reflect the global and diverse clients we serve.
Ancestry encourages applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans and all other qualified applicants. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? Join the curious.
What you will do:
Ancestry is looking for an exceptional, passionate, and highly motivated Data Scientist, Intern to join our Discovery Data Science team this summer. The Discovery Data Science team works primarily with the algorithms behind content recommendation at Ancestry. We work on challenging problems with more than one possible solution, like record linkage, recommendation engines, personalization, and search. As a Data Science intern on the Discovery Data Science team, you will work on applying existing methods and developing new methods to new record collections and emerging markets, specifically related to record linkage. These ground-breaking methods are crucial to extending Ancestry’s influence in international markets.
- Use data and different ML solutions to create meaningful family history products for customers
- Work with other data scientists and software engineers to develop and deploy ML models at scale
- Advocate for a data-driven culture and support the long-term value creation through development of outstanding data science capabilities in the areas of predictive modeling, record linkage, neural networks, and graph modeling
- Contribute to technical discussions, help translate business questions into data science problems and find cost-effective solutions to the challenges at hand
Who You Are:
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or other data-related field
- Experience with multiple end-to-end data science projects: from idea generation and goal formulation to implementation and deliverables
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Experience with applied machine learning algorithms and data visualization
- Nice to have: Some experience or working knowledge of Scala and Spark
- Nice to have: Previous experience working with record linkage, deep neural network embeddings, or graph neural networks
Internship Program Details:
- Students must be enrolled in an accredited U.S. educational institution with a graduation date after August 2024.
- Summer 2024 program dates are May 13 – September 6 (Please note we will have three intern onboarding dates to choose from: May 13th, May 28th, and June 10th. Students may offboard every Friday, beginning August 9th. - All internships must be wrapped up by September 6th).
- FULLY PAID temporary housing and travel to and from the internship are provided.
- All summer internships will be in Lehi, Utah. You will work a combined hybrid and office-based schedule that allows you to choose which days you come into the office and which days you work from temporary housing/home (Utah students).
- Interns have the opportunity to network and partner with other interns and industry-leading professionals.
- You will participate in engaging events, including executive speaker sessions, professional development, and our annual Intern Days to showcase your project and work.
- You will be required to work a full-time schedule (40 hours/week), Monday-Friday.
- Company-issued laptop and equipment will be provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Our interns enjoy mentorship and experience challenging work while receiving a great compensation package, temporary housing, and having fun, captivating experiences—we have it all!
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.