Principal Scientist, Data ScienceFull time
Janssen Research & Development (“JRD”), a Johnson & Johnson company, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Data Science.
Primary location : Cambridge, MA
Other locations considered: Titusville, NJ; Raritan, NJ; Spring House, PA; New York City, NY; San Diego, CA; South San Francisco, CA; remote may also be considered with up to 10% travel.
Janssen develops treatments that improve the health of people worldwide. Research and development areas encompass oncology, cardiovascular and metabolic disorders, immunology, pulmonary hypertension, neuroscience, and infectious disease. Our goal is to help people live longer, healthier lives. We have produced and marketed many first-in-class prescription medications and are poised to serve the broad needs of the healthcare market – from patients to practitioners and from clinics to hospitals. To learn more about Janssen, one of the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, visit https://www.janssen.com/us/.
The R&D Data Science Analytics & Insights team within Janssen develops innovative solutions leveraging a variety of different data sources across multiple disease areas. Successful candidate will apply and develop cutting-edge statistical methodologies to drive critical drug development decisions and positively impact the way we conduct trials for patients. We are looking for outstanding scientists whose responsibilities include:
- Independently partner with the Janssen R&D Data Science Portfolio Management and Therapeutic Area teams to execute projects aligned with the priorities, working with the team from conceptualizing the research questions, data feasibility, study design and analysis to final presentation to senior cross-functional leaders and publication
- Will be able to advice and contribute to multiple projects and collaborate with research scientists in diverse projects
- Deliver insights to impact functions and therapeutic areas within R&D and participate in cross-functional collaborations with internal scientific and data science teams, and external companies
- Lead and contribute to non-randomized study design, statistical analysis plan writing, conducting and/or supervising analysis and modeling
- Leverage emerging scientific developments to generate new research ideas, solutions and initiatives supporting non-randomized comparisons to support drug development
- Be a hands-on technical leader among the Data Science team, helping institute best practices while crafting a data-driven culture, developing, and mentoring more junior members of the team while advocating for skill development, working alongside a robust team of data scientists, bringing fresh perspectives and scientific rigor across Data Science projects and therapeutic areas
- Clearly articulate highly technical methods and results to diverse audiences and partners to drive decision-making
- Participate in cross-functional collaborations with external companies and internal scientific and data science teams
- A Ph.D. degree, or master’s degree in biostatistics, statistics or similar
- Relevant experience (4+ years for Ph.D., 6+ years for a master’s) within a Healthcare industry or Pharma
- Extensive experience with a broad range of statistical methods, especially those used for non-randomized comparisons such as propensity score methodologies, population-adjusted indirect comparisons, Bayesian borrowing to augment comparator arms, marginal structural models.
- Shown project leadership in complicated context, able to influence and engage the strategic and technical partners in a matrix organization
- Consistently delivers on high impact projects
- Experience leading, coaching, growing and motivating data scientists in a direct-reporting or matrixed-reporting manner
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Proficiency in R, SAS, or other statistical software
- Hands-on technical data manipulation and data analysis experience (across roles)
- Experience working on cross-functional teams and collaborating with clinical partners
- Familiarity with drug discovery and the clinical development process and/ or expertise in one or more therapeutic areas, oncology experience highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in one of the following domains: RWD / RWE (EHR, insurance claims, registry data) or other observational data sources, RCTs
- Ability to effectively communicate technical work to a wide audience
Expected Salary Range: $135,000 - $202,000
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.