Data Scientist, Real World EvidenceFull time
Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission of Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives. With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, and offices in Baltimore, MD, Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,700 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
The ideal candidate for the Data Scientist, Real World Evidence / Coding will have a strong background in quantitative problem solving, healthcare administrative data analytics and modeling. The person in this role must be able to adapt quickly to shifting demands and priorities and partner with key stakeholders. This role will transform healthcare data into analytical insights (research-grade data) to inform decisions or drive publications and will also work with healthcare claims data to generate measures of safety, effectiveness, quality, and utilization of care.
The primary responsibility for this role is synthesize and test study arms for a growing number of scientific, and analytic hypothesis. The successful candidate will:
- Identify patient attributes, work with medical team to specify study variables, map to administrative/medical codes, develop and test algorithms for subsequent data extraction.
- Interface with different medical/administrative databases for periodical data pulls, and testing.
- Conduct verification and validation tests.
- Format, model and present data to broader team.
- Archive and document. Follow SOPs.
- Manage projects effectively for delivery on brief, on time, and on budget.
- Identify or anticipate potential issues.
- 4+ years experience analyzing healthcare related data; Strong understanding of data sources, data organization, data models, database design development, data mining and data storage. ( Required )
- Proven experience with SQL, Python, R, VBA, or other scripting language. ( Required )
- Natural language processing experience. (preferred)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to mine, manage, collect, organize, segment, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology, medical coding, billing and reimbursement practices, claims processing procedures and considerations, and clinical data requirements. ( Required )
- Healthcare administrative and medical terminology and interoperability domain expertise (e.g., EHR/EMR data standards and workflows). Background of ICD-9/10, CPT, LOINC, HL7, OMOP, SNOMED, RxNorm coding principles. ( Required )
- Coding certification: RHIT, CPC, CCS or similar (preferred).
- Proven clinical and scientific acumen, experience in scientific data handling, summarizing, and presentation. Strong analytical skills with ability to collect, organize, trace, document, and analyze significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy. ( Required )
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS etc.). (Strongly preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree ( Required ). Preferred in Computer Science, Engineering, Programming, Statistics or related field.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent communication and reasoning skills; must be able to think through usability of the tools/reports being created. Able to communicate, reduce complexities, and collaborate with key stakeholders in a global, - cross-functional and multi-cultural setting. ( Required )
- Problem solving and project management skills and ability to deliver assignments with quality and within timelines.
- Analytical and academically oriented, and see the value of evidence-based medicine.
- Value collaboration and enjoy working closely with brilliant people across the organization.
- Have a strong attention to detail.
- Keen to learn new skills and therapy areas.
- Can prioritize your own workload and help others to prioritize theirs. Can work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Enjoy building relationships with clients (external and internal) and value the importance of creating a good rapport.
- This position may require up to 15% travel
At Abiomed we reward results in competitive ways! This includes a rewarding patient first career, health and wellness benefits, paid time off, and 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match. The base salary range for this role is $115,000 - $137,000 . This role is also eligible for a competitive bonus that is based off employee’s performance and can be accelerated based off results.