As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clients’ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether it’s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Octo, an IBM company, is an industry-leading, award-winning provider of technical solutions for the federal government. At Octo, we specialize in providing agile software engineering, user experience design, cloud services, and digital strategy services that address government’s most pressing missions. Octo delivers intelligent solutions and rapid results, yielding lower costs and measurable outcomes.
Our team is what makes Octo great. At Octo you’ll work beside some of the smartest and most accomplished staff you’ll find in your career. Octo offers fantastic benefits and an amazing workplace culture where you will feel valued while you perform mission critical work for our government. Voted one of the region’s best places to work multiple times, Octo is an employer of choice!
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to support an initiative within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In this role you will work across our client engagements, providing expertise in data collection, data analysis, data mapping, data profiling, data mining, data modeling, predictive modeling, and machine learning. You will be responsible for solutioning and development of production-ready statistical and machine learning models that leverage healthcare, healthcare operations, and related datasets, as well as contribute to and produce technical and data process documentation. Must have experience in communications infrastructure (e.g., PBX systems, call center systems, platforms such as Office365).
We were founded as a fresh alternative in the Government Consulting Community and are dedicated to the belief that results are a product of analytical thinking, agile design principles and that solutions are built in collaboration with, not for, our customers. This mantra drives us to succeed and act as true partners in advancing our client’s missions.
This program within the Department of Veterans Affairs will work to analyze data from various VA communications platforms, surfacing insights aimed at improving efficiency, speeding up decisions, and enhancing the VA’s capabilities.
- Work across client engagements, providing expertise in data collection, data analysis, data mapping, data profiling, data mining and data modeling.
- Responsible for inspecting, cleansing, transforming and modeling data and will address issues related to data completeness and quality.
- Work directly with our software development team to ensure that we are creating best-in-class solutions to solve our customers’ complex data challenges.
- Develop predictive and machine learning models from both structured and unstructured data (e.g., identify usage patterns, predict utilization).
- Create training materials for individuals at different levels of experience to leverage these models and results in their own work
- Identify, create, and curate training, test, and validation datasets
- Support development of monitoring and re-training procedures for models in production
- Act as a subject matter expert throughout the lifecycle of projects to support both business and technical stakeholders in generating solutions and associated requirements.
Years of Experience: Must have 8+ years of recent related data science experience. Prefer at least 3+ years of experience analyzing operational communications/collaboration platforms such as Office365, call center systems, network logs, and more.
Education: M.S. and/or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Statistics, or Mathematics (or related field).
Location: Remote within the United States.
Clearance: Ability to obtain a Public Trust security clearance.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
See below for experience and educational requirements.
- Prefer at least 5+ years working with Machine Learning and/or Natural Language Processing (in particular, Named Entity Recognition) methodologies.
- Prefer at least 5+ years of programming experience in a subset of Python.
- Prefer at least 3+ years of experience using Machine Learning tools, deploying models, and deploying software in Azure (certification preferred).
- Prefer at least 3+ years of experience analyzing operational communications/collaboration platforms such as Office365, call center systems, network logs, and more.
- Ability to conduct data profiling and predictive analysis using a variety of standard tools.
- Experience with data visualization tools and methodologies.
- Excellent ability to communicate concisely and effectively with software engineers and clients.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Previous experience working with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs or other government clients such as Dept. of Defense (DoD).
- Exposure to Microsoft Azure services and cloud-based systems.
- Prior experience with metadata management to include meta-tagging.
- Previous experience working in an Agile Team setting and using Agile management tools such as Jira.
- Ability to uncover data-driven insights using statistical analysis or predictive analytics.
- Experience with machine learning, natural language processing, and statistical analysis methods to include classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, sentiment analysis, topic modeling, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and/or validation methods.