About the Department
The Data Science organization within Novo Nordisk’s global Development organization is responsible for clinical data capture, storage, analysis, modeling and simulation as well as the application of artificial intelligence/machine learning.
The team is comprised of approximately 1000 collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop their careers. You’ll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes and obesity treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we’ve cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
As Novo Nordisk (NN) embarks on an exciting transformation and journey as a company, we are developing a new capability in Global Development’s Data Science organization to bring novel, data-driven approaches for business development and M&A activities. The Data Science Business Development Lead will serve as the critical leader in shaping our company’s future with strategic acquisitions and opportunities by providing specialized data science skillsets to support due diligence, integration, and alliance management. This role will require coordination between business development stakeholders across Novo Nordisk as well as our Data Science organizational functions –biostatistics, pharmacometrics, data management, and real world data teams – to bring data-enabled insights at deal-speed.
This is a unique opportunity to build a novel capability to support Novo Nordisk’s business development and acquisition strategy, all from the ground-up. Driving this new capability will not only require developing an innovative approach that harmonizes expertise across multiple data science disciplines, but also the ability to implement and execute across a large, matrixed, and global organization. To do this, the role will also be responsible for creating and implementing processes and governance to ensure that the right insights are delivered to the right people at the right time.
We require a candidate who will be comfortable navigating ambiguity and rise to the challenge of implementing a new model for Data Science and the company. This is a complex role that will demand proactively developing and gaining buy-in for new approaches with your stakeholders. You also will be participating in some of the most critical strategic discussions for the company and will, therefore, need to be able to formulate a unique perspective and voice using data. The candidate should also be adept with project management, assembling strategic communications for senior leadership, and managing relationships across internal stakeholders. Lastly, working across our biometrics and pharmacometrics colleagues, you must be able to create a single unit functioning for Data Science as strategic collaborators that are driving toward time-sensitive goals.
This position reports to the Vice President, Data Science External Affairs in Novo Nordisk’s Data Science organization. The Senior Director, Data Science Business Development Lead is a key senior expert in the Data Science External Affairs group, leading and coordinating all business development activities across various BD stakeholders as well as Data Science colleagues across Biostatistics, Data Management, Pharmacometrics, and Real World Data.
As Data Science Business Development is a new capability, you will play a key role in helping build this area for both the Data Science team, but also for Global Development and Corporate Strategy more broadly. Therefore, the position will have multiple touchpoints both within Data Science and critical Novo Nordisk stakeholders. You will also work globally, primarily working with stakeholders in the US and Denmark.
- Biostatistics Coordination – Collaborate with our biostatistics experts to ensure rigorous evaluation of clnical trial data and statistical methodologies used by potential acquisition targets. Assess statistical validity and identify any risks or issues that require further attention. Be prepared to innovate and create/streamline processes where needed
- Data Management Oversight - Coordinate data management efforts to ensure data quality, integration, compliance, and accessibility. Work closely with data management SMEs to establish robust data handling procedures and oversee data integration efforts. Champion new data management approaches and enhancements
- Pharmacometrics Facilitation – Provide opportunities for pharmacometrics modeling and simulation by coordinating efforts and testing new capabilities in parallel with our pharmacometrics team. Assist in optimizing drug dosing regimens, evaluating safety profiles, and shaping regulatory strategies. Drive new approaches to pharmacometric analysis
- Rapid Analytics Enablement – Identify opportunities for the rapid turnaround of real world insights to support internal discussions and hypothesis generation as needed through the due diligence process
- Stakeholder Management and Process Development – Establish strong working relationships between internal business development teams and data science SMEs. Identify opportunities for the Data Science team to impact business development activities and triage appropriate opportunities to relevant SMEs and manage the due diligence activity to completion. Take ownership of driving process development and improvements within the team
- Business Development Summary Reporting – Create summary reports of key data science business development activity for senior leadership. Implement robust performance metrics and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure the success of business development support and drive continuous improvement
Ability to travel occasionally – both internationally to the US and domestically in Denmark.
- An advanced degree (Masters or PhD degree) in a relevant area for biostatistics, pharmacometrics, and/or data management
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in any of the following: biostatistics, statistical analysis, data management, statistical programming, regulatory compliance, interpretation and reporting of statistical results of clinical trials, and pharmacometrics. Strong track record of facilitating collaboration between these areas is also strongly preferred
- Strong prior experience supporting business development and M&A efforts for a pharmaceutical company is required.
- Experience in relevant disease areas such as obesity and diabetes is a preferred, but not required
- Proven leader of driving change within a dynamic environment while enabling large, impactful decisions for a company
- Strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative mindset. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional team
- Outstanding communication skills both written and verbal, enabling the clear conveyance of complex findings
- Comfort with turning around deliverables with time-sensitive deadlines and quick turnarounds. Able to work in multiple time zones as needed
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.