About the Department
The AI and Analytics Team is part of Novo Nordisk’s Data Science division, where we apply sophisticated algorithms and machine learning techniques to some of the hardest problems in the discovery and development of new healthcare solutions. By leveraging a blend of scientific, problem-solving, and quantitative skills, we provide superior data insights that empower Novo Nordisk to further develop and deliver life-changing treatments. We work in multidisciplinary teams with strong collaboration across all areas of the organization and engage in external collaborations to ensure access to cutting edge research and technology.
We believe in the value of a diverse and inclusive culture. Together, we build and grow talent to ensure the development of new solutions. The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work. We are committed to helping each other grow, and we are driven by the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people living with chronic disease.
The Quantum Compute Lead Scientist will contribute to the research team’s effort towards exploring the evolution and application of quantum computing in clinical development space. As a Quantum Compute Lead Scientist, the ideal candidate will bring scientific understanding, technical dept and experience in developing/implementing novel quantum computing algorithms to solve practical and real-world problems. The Quantum Compute Lead Scientist will, with guidance, contribute toward identifying relevant opportunities for quantum computing in clinical drug development areas, collaborate with internal and external partners, and work closely with engineering and scientific groups to deliver value for drug development initiatives.
The Quantum Compute Lead Scientist reports to the head of the related research area. Internal partners include data scientists, specialists, engineers, software developers, technology scouts & partnership developers, system engineers, designers, anthropologists, medical doctors, IT professionals, and others across US, UK and Denmark. External relationships include commercial and academic collaboration partners.
- Engage with stakeholders to understand challenges and articulate value from quantum computing in the clinical drug development domain
- A deep understanding of various numerical methods, optimization, classical statistical methods along with modern ML approaches relevant in the Quantum Computing domain
- Deep understanding of the physics of quantum computing, choice and robustness of available hardware, and experience with quantum native and hybrid algorithms
- Implementation and maintenance of local and cloud-based data and computational environments and platforms and help to integrate data and solutions from different sources
- Demonstrate an ability to take initiatives and drive projects from concept to adoption
- Manage technical execution in cross-functional groups
- Collaborate with external partners and work closely with academic/commercial groups to bring the most current technology in-house
- Demonstrate effectively how quantum computing methods work as an integral part of data science activity
- Actively collaborate with other Data Scientists, as well as engineers and/or scientists from other disciplines
- Collaborative teamwork
- Actively participate in cross-functional teams to develop quantum computing solutions
- Actively participate in virtual global team meetings regularly
- Achieve business goals, shares learnings, knowledge and skills and promote cross-functional teamwork
- Collaborate with external partners to co-develop ideas
- Prepare and present written and oral reports and proposals to peers and management
0-10% overnight travel required.
- Master’s degree required. PhD degree preferred. Degree in the disciplines of physics, computer science, mathematics, engineering or a related quantitative field is preferred
- A Master’s degree with 5+ years’ relevant experience required or PhD with 3+ years’ relevant experience will be considered
- Relevant experience includes:
- General experience in areas such as quantum error mitigation, variational and optimization algorithms, QC simulators, and developing hybrid algorithms for classical and quantum computing
- Knowledge of multiple aspects of a quantum computing software stack, including classical control, quantum error correction, decoders, quantum simulators, quantum algorithms run on classical hardware, etc.
- Develop best practice programming techniques for quantum hardware, and illuminate the inner workings to better understand the mechanisms (e.g., entanglement, co-tunneling, many-body effects etc.) that can be used to provide a quantum computational advantage
- Development of strategic initiatives and roadmaps toward demonstrating value from quantum computing
- Familiarity with Machine learning and optimization
- Ability to perform in-depth data analysis and present results and conclusions to leadership team
- Preferred experience includes:
- Experience leading and driving initiatives with various stakeholders and internal/external partners
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data, particularly in the healthcare domain
- Experience with standard cloud platforms such as AWS & Azure
- Working experience in Software Development Lifecycles, agile methodologies, and continuous integration
- Strong academic and publication record in the quantum computing space
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong documentation skills
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.