Senior Data ScientistFull time
What to Expect
Vehicle Design for Reliability Engineering is looking for an exceptional Data Scientist with experience in physical engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, materials) to tackle projects in modeling the reliability of new products and technologies in the real-world. As a successful candidate, you will utilize your data analysis and programming expertise to retrieve, analyze, model, and summarize test and field data to cross-functional teams to drive key decisions related to Tesla’s vehicle products.
What You’ll Do
- Own the development of new performance metrics based on fundamental physics of operation for efficiently predicting reliability in test and real-world environments.
- Access and rapidly execute analyses of large datasets through developing customized code and scripting in Python or other programming languages.
- Build dashboards and other visualizations for effectively communicating analyses to cross-functional teams.
- Conduct studies to predict data-driven service repair, replacement, and maintenance needs.
- Proactively improve and maintain projects based on feedback from the broader engineering team and integration with Data Science, Design, and Test organizations.
What you’ll bring
- 2+ years’ experience in data science, machine learning, and data optimization.
- Demonstrated proficiency with SQL and Python.
- Experience with data manipulation in Pandas and Pyspark including experience in deploying efficient queries in a distributed computing environment.
- Experience in building interactive visualizations and dashboards using Matplotlib, Seaborn, Bokeh, Tableau, Power BI, or similar visualization tools.
- Excellent teamwork/interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate with multiple engineering disciplines.
- Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances. Able to adjust priorities on short notice to meet deadlines.
- Solid background in applied statistics and machine learning.
- Knowledge of reliability engineering and physics of failure principles.
- Familiar with Data Pipelining (ETL, Airflow, Spark Data Analyses).
- Comfortable in an environment with unstructured, incomplete, and ambiguous data.
- BS or higher degree in Mechatronics, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience. A master’s degree or Ph.D. is a plus.
- 2+ years of experience working on reliability, test development and data analysis of mechatronic, preferably robotic systems (including relevant internship or academic lab work).
- Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources -Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$84,000 - $276,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice