Research Science Technical LeadFull time
At WHOOP, we’re on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers members to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
Our vast, physiological dataset enables research at scales that have previously been impractical or prohibitively expensive through traditional academic processes. Research Scientists at WHOOP leverage this dataset to conduct original research for publication and to enable novel features in our consumer product. We are seeking an accomplished analyst with experience publishing original scientific research. The ideal candidate will leverage a wide array of statistical techniques and is excited to bring new insights to the scientific community and to our members.
- Design studies to enable development of models and algorithms that translate data into meaningful physiological measurements and insight
- Keep up with the latest developments in wearable technology by reading industry publications, gathering background knowledge, and staying up to date with emerging trends
- Respond to custom data and analysis requests from our partners. Includes both working with the partners to understand what is feasible and executing on the requests
- Provide analysis of data that is both scientifically and statistically sound while also digestible by non-technical clients
- Identify patterns in requests and build out tooling to increase the efficiency of the research process over time
- Write and revise high-quality manuscripts to communicate research findings to a wide range of audiences from peer reviewed academic journals to blog posts geared towards our members
- Manage the end to end research process including obtaining approval from third party IRBs when needed.
- Manage and mentor a small team of junior research scientists
- Masters in Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Exercise Science, a related field or equivalent experience required. Ph.D. is preferred.
- Experience with study design
- Experience publishing academic research in peer reviewed journals with preference given to experience with research involving human subjects
- Proficiency in statistics and data visualization required
- Proficiency in machine learning and deep learning preferred
- Proficiency in scientific Python/R and SQL required
- Ability to formulate hypotheses, draw conclusions and deliver results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present findings to both internal and external stakeholders and communicate results to technical and non-technical audiences
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility