Data Scientist IIFull time
WHOOP is an advanced health and fitness wearable, on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its members to improve their health and perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As a Data Scientist II on the Health Data Science team, you’ll help develop technology at the core of the business. In collaboration with clinicians, research analysts, and product managers, members of the Health Data Science team build features that help members improve their health and better understand their body’s signals. You’ll work with data from a variety of sources including processed time series data generated by sensors on the WHOOP Strap, data collected from “gold-standard” devices, and data entered manually by WHOOP members via the mobile application. Using these data sources, as well as drawing upon clinical theory and evidence, you will design, train, and deploy machine learning algorithms that provide insights to members on topics such as physical fitness, reproductive health, cardiovascular health, and more. We’re looking for someone who has experience developing ML models with large datasets in Python and who is excited about the use of wearables in the health and wellness space.
- Develop statistical and machine learning models to solve complex problems with data of varying structures
- Conduct research on specific health and physiological problems and integrate clinical research into the development of algorithms
- Productionize models and algorithms with assistance from data and software engineers as appropriate and monitor model performance and the production service in the field
- Work with MLOps engineers to stand up production backend APIs in Python that pass data through inference pipelines with trained machine learning models
- Collaborate with the product team to ensure we’re delivering maximal member-value
- Collaborate with our scientific and medical advisors as needed to ensure we are interpreting the data in a scientifically accurate and medically responsible way
- Reports to the Health Data Science Technical Lead
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field. Master’s preferred
- 2+ years of full-time professional experience in a related area
- 2+ years experience applying advanced mathematical and statistical techniques
- Strong python programming skills and substantial experience with scientific python packages
- A strong interest in improving people’s health and well-being
- Experience working with processed physiological time series data such as that from PPG, ECG, or EEG sensors is a plus
- Experience deploying services and maintaining live code through logging and monitoring within a production environment is a plus
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility