Director of Machine Learning Platform EngineeringFull time
At WHOOP, we’re on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its members to perform at a higher level by providing a deep understanding of the interactions between their unique physiology and chosen behaviors.
We’re looking for a talented leader for our ML platform team. This team owns a suite of tools and services that scientists use during the research, experimentation, and production phases of ML development to enable state of the art data science. You will play a pivotal role in ensuring the reliability, scalability, and performance of our machine learning infrastructure, enabling WHOOP to continue pushing the boundaries of human performance. The ideal candidate has a proven track record leading a cross-functional team, is able to identify new opportunities to leverage our large and growing dataset, and is excited to work with physiological data.
- Team Leadership: Build and manage a high-performing engineering team, providing mentorship, guidance, and support to facilitate their professional growth. Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture
- Data Platform Strategy: Develop and execute the technical vision and roadmap for the data science platform, aligning it with WHOOP’s overall business objectives. Drive innovation and identify opportunities to leverage emerging technologies
- Data Infrastructure: Oversee the design, development, deployment, and maintenance of WHOOP’s data infrastructure, ensuring its reliability, scalability, and security. Architect robust and efficient systems for data collection, storage, processing, and analysis
- Model Development and Deployment: Collaborate with data science on end to end development and deployment of machine learning models including data preprocessing, feature engineering, model training, model evaluation, and model integration into production systems. Additionally implement and manage model versioning, tracking, and monitoring systems
- Collaboration: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including data scientists, product managers, and software engineers, to understand their requirements and provide scalable solutions. Act as a bridge among the data science and engineering teams, fostering effective communication and knowledge sharing
- Technical Leadership: Stay abreast of the latest trends and advancements, and provide thought leadership to advance the team internally and evangelize the team externally
- Reports to the Senior Vice President of Data Science and Research
- Education: Bachelor’s or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field. A strong academic background in data science and machine learning is desirable
- Experience: Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, with at least 2 years in a leadership capacity. Prior experience developing and scaling data platforms for machine learning applications required
- Technical Skills: Proficiency in designing and implementing large-scale data processing and end-to-end ML pipelines. Strong expertise in cloud platforms and related services, such as AWS. Proficiency in Python and relevant data processing and manipulating libraries. Familiarity with data governance, security, and privacy requirements
- Leadership Abilities: Demonstrated success in leading and managing high-performing engineering teams. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders. Proven track record of driving technical innovation and delivering complex projects on time and within budget
- Passion for Data and motivation to contribute to the advancement of human performance through data-driven insights
- This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility.