Data Scientist II, SEMFull time
Interested in an inherently cross-functional role that gives you tremendous. organizational exposure with senior leaders within the company? You will partner with Marketing, Product, Engineering, and Analytics organization to shape the future of SEM Bidding Data Products and Applications. You will help facilitate cross-team and cross-channel partnerships on shared platforms. In role, you will drive the performance of our algorithms manage the bidding operations for one of the largest channels. You will be the resident expert on data science methods for evaluation and making recommendations to refine and address. Marketing Specialists who are responsible for crafting business cases, operational tests, and growth strategies. Your efforts will guide the SEM to improve company revenue, reduce cost, increase customer engagement, and enhance the value of our brands.
If you are seeking a collaborative, rewarding and dynamic learning environment where a sense of humor is essential, you will love Expedia’s Search Engine Marketing (SEM) team. SEM is a dynamic business, and we would not have it any other way.
On the SEM Bidding Science team, you will join an entrepreneurial environment with responsibility to contribute to our SEM bidding strategy and algorithms we use to manage our spend. You will utilize your quantitative skills to provide actionable insights for optimizing marketing spend, audience targeting and whilst influencing senior leadership for positive outcomes. We love to test and learn and deliver high return on our investments.
What you’ll do:
- Understand and contribute to bidding algorithm development for capital allocation and other search engine specific application
- Develop and triage existing algorithm risk mitigation and evaluation methods to identify buckets of inefficient decisions
- Refine and patch data pipelines that enable bidding to enable smarter signal and solve data sparsity issues at scale across our portfolio of brands and product lines
- Use statistics, distributions, and confidence intervals to make decisions based on data. Manipulate large data sets for business insights and implement solutions to improve Paid Search performance
- Detect changes in key market forces and apply analytics in order to present tangible business problems/actions (e.g., seasonality, auction changes, competitor actions, etc)
- Communicate complex analytical topics in a clean & simple way to multiple partners and senior leadership (both internal & external)
- Troubleshoot and identify root cause of operational issues (e.g., data quality, critical process degradation)
- Automate and/or streamline repetitive processes to improve individual and team productivity
- Collaborate with Partners, Product and Technical Teams to contribute to Social products and tools development (APIs, bidding tools, dashboards, etc.) and influence prioritization
- Test readouts and statistics application to improve reads and get better tests in place
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s in quantitative field such as Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics or related field; or equivalent related professional experience
- Master’s degree in related field and equivalent experience is preferred
- Minimum years of relevant work experience in marketing and/or ecommerce
- Applied experience with data mining and analytic methods such as Clustering / Cluster Analysis, Factor Analysis, Regression Models, Logistic, Regression, Predictive Modeling, optimization models is preferred
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills, combined with a high level of initiative and ability to thrive in a multi-tasking, dynamic environment
- Experience in online marketing, e-commerce, or equivalent role with an analytical bend is preferred
- Expert scripting know-how (e.g., Python, R, SAS, SQL)
- Foundational statistics experience (e.g., t-tests, distributions)
- Familiarity to operate DS environments and toolsets within AWS infrastructure
- Shown success working cross-functionally
The total cash range for this position in Seattle is $105,500 to $148,000. Employees in this role have the potential to increase their pay up to $169,000, which is the top of the range, based on ongoing, demonstrated, and sustained performance in the role.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group’s family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.