Data ScientistFull time
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you’re joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Our Product Support and Logistics Division (PSLD) is one of the most innovative divisions within Caterpillar. In PSLD, as within all of Caterpillar, our priority is our customers and helping them build a better world. We touch nearly every element of the services value stream from procurement to design and manufacturing to distribution. PSLD is responsible for Aftermarket Parts Distribution of Cat Parts, Integrated Logistics, segment Procurement and the design and manufacture of Wear Components (Undercarriage and GET) and Maintenance Components (Seals, Tubes & Hardware, Hose & Couplings, Fluids and Filters).
We’re committed to our customers, who build a better world with our products, services, and solutions. We understand and show the value of why they should always choose us. We’re exploring new ideas and opportunities – innovating to discover the breakthroughs necessary for tomorrow’s growth.
Through it all, we are one team – creating and delivering world-class components and solutions superior to the competition. Learn more about the Caterpillar Experience .
What You Will Do:
As a Data Scientist within the PSLD Transformation group, your primary responsibility will be to support profitable growth of Caterpillar’s Kitting business through data and analytics. You will collaborate closely with various functional areas within the Kitting Solutions product group including new product development, supply chain, and commercial to understand their business problems and leverage appropriate data and statistical and machine learning techniques to develop the best solution. You will also support part number rationalization, and component services growth to accomplish PSLD Transformation 2.0 objectives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Define requirements and scope of data analyses; present and report business insights to management using data visualization techniques.
- Extract, transform and analyze data in large volume to support fact-based, data-driven business decisions and development.
- Develop robust and scalable codes and leverage across multiple solutions.
- Other duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time-to-time.
What You Have (Basic Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in data science, mathematics, economics, engineering, or a similar field with quantitative coursework.
- 3 (plus) years of professional experience utilizing quantitative analysis.
- Alternatively, a Master’s degree and 1-2 years of experience, or a PhD.
- Production-level coding and development skills in Python and SQL.
- High degree of proficiency with Power BI, including administration and DAX Scripting.
- Exhibited the ability to work on increasingly more complex assignments.
- The ability to travel both domestically up to 5% of the time.
What You Have (Preferred Qualifications):
- Familiarity with various Caterpillar functional domains such as Dealer/customer, sales, supply chain, engineering, etc.
- Experience with different types of databases such as DB2, Oracle and Snowflake.
- Familiarity with AWS or other cloud technology.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, initiative, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as with customers.
Location: Morton, IL (USA) or Chicago, IL (USA) This position does offer relocation assistance.
Our team embraces flexibility through a hybrid work model. In addition to working onsite at one of our facilities in Morton, IL, or Chicago, IL, our hybrid work model allows employees the flexibility to work from home based on business need.
Relocation is available for this position.Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.