We are in search of an experienced Data Science leader who will be responsible for delivering data science, machine learning, and advanced analytics solutions to facilitate crucial business decisions. As a vital member of the Worldwide Grocery Stores Enterprise Data & Analytics function (WWGS-EDA), this leader will play an integral role in driving impactful business initiatives across marketing, category strategy, merchandising, store operations, customer experience, and E-commerce.
This role will head a small team of data scientists and will directly report to the Vice President of WWGS-EDA. The primary goal of this leader is to empower business leaders and teams to discover, comprehend, and implement new insights and concepts through data. Collaborating extensively with executive leadership, business unit team members, data stewards, and technology leaders, this position will define, implement, sustain, and leverage our data ecosystem to bolster our business strategy through the development of scientific solutions.
Ideal candidates for this role will possess substantial data science expertise, strategic business acumen, sharp analytical capabilities, strong cross-functional collaboration skills, a willingness to adopt a servant-leader approach, and the ambition to establish a best-in-class Data Science function. This position is based in Austin, TX, with occasional travel across the US.
- Lead a small Data Science team (part of overall data science team).
- Recruit and cultivate top-tier data scientists within the grocery/retail domain.
- Provide guidance for building and innovating data science and machine learning models that address business queries spanning marketing, merchandising, finance, forecasting, business strategy, and customer insights.
- Spearhead strategy, architecture, and the development of Data Science solutions.
- Ensure effective and efficient delivery of all team products; hold the team accountable to high-performance standards.
- Collaborate with WFM leadership to comprehend business requirements and deploy efficient Analytic processes and tools to meet those requirements.
- Collaborate with Amazon stakeholders to devise analytic approaches and leverage Amazon tools as necessary in formulating an analytic capabilities roadmap for WFM.
- Partner with diverse stakeholders, including Merchandising, Technology, Retail Operations, Real Estate Marketing, and Finance teams, to design and implement effective processes, tools, and training/communication strategies.
- Collaborate with Technology to translate capability objectives into strategic roadmaps, ensuring technology aligns with business needs and consumer engagement objectives.
- Serve as a thought leader on how Data Science can drive strategy and performance.
- Develop governance methods and controls to ensure consistent application and utilization of data and reporting.
- Advocate the value of data-driven decision-making.
- Continue personal growth and contribute as a leading expert within the Data Science community.
- 8+ years of progressively responsible experience in data science, machine learning, and related fields.
- 5+ years of experience in a data leadership role serving cross-functional business units.
- Highly desirable: Experience with AWS data technologies and tools.
- Retail and/or CPG industry experience is required, with a strong preference for significant experience in a multiunit physical retail environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Business, Economics, Predictive Analytics, or a related quantitative discipline. Equivalent relevant experience is also considered.
- An advanced degree is preferred but not mandatory.
- Applied experience with scientific algorithms and analytical tools and systems, including SQL, Python, and Cloud platforms (with a preference for AWS experience).
- Ability to bridge the needs of Global Support, Multi Regions, and Stores; adept at recognizing upstream and downstream connections.
- Applied experience with Data Science modeling mechanisms, such as supply chain cost savings, clustering, consumer segmentation, decision trees, machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence linear regression, logistic regression, and market basket analysis.
- Proficiency in a broad spectrum of machine learning and optimization techniques employed in advanced marketing, merchandising, and pricing analysis. This encompasses linear regression, logistic regression, mixed-effect models, price elasticity and optimization models, decision trees, boosting models, mixed-effects models, A/B test design and measurement, causal inference modeling, time series forecasting, and neural networks.
- Experience in developing and applying consumer segmentation strategies.
- Established track record of defining solutions and leading the implementation of large-scale, high-quality enterprise solutions.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in recruiting and nurturing high-performing teams.
- Self-directed and innovative thinker. Alongside meticulous attention to detail, adept at recognizing the strategic implications for the business on a broader scale. Fluent in conveying complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent listening skills, with the ability to foster consensus among leaders.
- Team player with a positive demeanor and adeptness in navigating ambiguity.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, capable of presenting intricate technical information in a clear and concise manner to various audiences.
- Demonstrated ability in problem-solving while collaborating with leadership and colleagues to achieve business outcomes and identify and resolve issues.
- Effective presentation skills for executive leadership.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills are crucial.
- Key success skills: Communication, Emotional Intelligence, Shared Fate, Self-Responsibility, Execution Drive, Excellence Inspiration, Servant Leadership, Strategic Direction Establishment.
- This role is based in Austin, TX, and necessitates a presence in our downtown offices for at least three days per week—office address: 550 Bowie, Austin, TX, 78703.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.