Senior Data Scientist, ProductFull time
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
Etsy is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our Analytics team and partner with Product stakeholders to drive success and enhance the Etsy experience for both buyers and sellers.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Manager, Product Analytics and the base salary range will be $130,000 -$168,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Candidates living within commutable distance of the Brooklyn Hub, may be the first to be considered. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- Data scientists at Etsy use rigorous methods to generate insights that inform product, engineering, and business decisions across the company. We collaborate with partner teams through all stages of development: actively uncovering opportunity areas, crafting experiments to test hypotheses, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting takeaways
- Learning new skills and techniques is not only a requirement but a perk of the job! We are always looking for opportunities to grow. Our mission is to guide our partner teams with data and insights and tell the story of how we attract and retain our users – to teams, to senior management, and to the community
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Work closely and collaboratively with management within the Product org to help shape Etsy’s strategy and vision
- Conduct analysis on buyers’ and sellers’ behavior, helping us better optimize the features that are most important to our members
- Design and analyze rigorous experiments, help teams set great hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results
- Transform raw data into important and impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance, technique clarity, and clear documentation
- Improve or automate internal analytics processes to drive efficiency
- Raise the skill level of the entire analytics team through the creation of outstanding work, mentorship, and the introduction of better practices, processes, and tools
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 4+ years experience as a data scientist or data analyst during which you independently extracted insights from large datasets
- Deep understanding of experimentation theory and experience in statistical analysis of A/B test data. Proficiency in causal inference analysis is strongly preferred
- Mastery of SQL, and experience with R/Python and other scripting/automation techniques. Bonus points for experience with Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software
- Curious mindset to drive creative problem-solving and business impact
- You distill highly complex problems into narratives that are concise, actionable, and memorable, and express your recommendations with both conviction and finesse
- You’ve acted as a mentor, guiding others to make their own work better and more efficient
- Experience in an e-Commerce setting is a plus
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else – we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We’re open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.