Senior Data ScientistFull time
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
Data scientists at Etsy use rigorous methods to generate insights that inform product, engineering, and business decisions across the company. We collaborate with partner teams through all stages of development: actively uncovering opportunity areas, crafting experiments to test hypotheses, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting takeaways
This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Analytics Manager, Product Analytics and the base salary range will be 130,000 -164,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Candidates living within commutable distance of the Brooklyn Hub, may be the first to be considered. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- Learning new skills and techniques is not only a requirement but a perk of the job! We are always looking for opportunities to grow. Our mission is to guide our partner teams with data and insights and tell the story of how we attract and retain our users — to teams, to senior management, and to the community
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Lead all analytical aspects of the org from sizing opportunities, building business cases all the way through to measuring success via online/offline experimentation.
- Working hand-in-hand with Machine Learning and Applied scientists to measure and identify opportunities to improve our Estimated Delivery Date models.
- Work closely and collaboratively with senior management within the Fulfillment org to help shape Etsy’s fulfillment strategy and vision.
- Build network models to uncover opportunities in Etsy’s network design and service level optimization.
- Conduct various cost, speed and reliability optimization related analyses to provide tactical recommendations and actionable insights.
-Identify factors that contribute to providing improved shipping time estimates to our buyers
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 5+ years experience as a logistics analyst, operations researcher, data scientist or data analyst in which you have independently extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support.
- Mastery of SQL and proficiency in R/Python. Passionate to try new approaches to advance your technical skills. Bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem and Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software.
- Experience with network analysis & modeling and/or carrier contract modeling is required. Logistics optimization software experience (llamasoft/Coupa, etc.) is strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of speed, reliability and cost tradeoffs in an ecommerce or online marketplaces setting is strongly preferred.
- Comfortable with distilling complex insights into compelling narratives for senior executives, both verbally and visually.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else – we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We’re open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.