Senior Data Scientist, eCommerceFull time
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square’s mission is economic empowerment, and our team supports this by using data to understand and empathize with our customers, thereby allowing us to build a remarkable experience. The goal of the eCommerce team is to make it incredibly easy for anyone to sell online. This role will be focused on working with the product team to build and improve the Square eCommerce experience. The ideal candidate understands and loves seeing the impact of their work translate into product changes and improvements. The role will involve working on the product from end-to-end, thinking about everything from how a merchant sets up their online presence to how a shopper browses online. You’ll be formulating analyses using a rich dataset to track feature usage and performance, identify potential gaps and opportunities, and make recommendations to stakeholders. This role will challenge you to think strategically and contribute to high-level discussions with senior leadership and peers across Square.
- Partner with product managers, engineers, and senior strategy leaders to improve the product. Make sure the right questions are being asked, solicit feedback, and iterate until you reach meaningful conclusions backed by solid analysis
- Apply a diverse set of tactics such as statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning to research and produce insights
- Use SQL on a daily basis to develop data pipelines, write complex queries, and perform analysis
- Coordinate and solve complex projects that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level partners and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Develop resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- Develop, debug, and improve data models. Our product moves fast and new data doesn’t always play nice with existing models. Think about how to ingest and store data in the most useful and scalable format.
- 6+ years of analytics and data science experience or equivalent
- Experience building relationships to influence product partners with data
- Experience leading cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Experience applying both statistical and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as predicting churn, defining frameworks for measuring success, and clustering user archetypes
- Familiarity with data warehouse design and best practices
- Fluency with data, analytics, and visualization technologies (we use SQL, Looker, and Python)
Nice to have:
- M.S or Ph.D. in a quantitative field (mathematics, statistics, or similar STEM field)
- Experience working on product & platform initiatives focused on measuring platform success
- Additional Information
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block’s equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.