ICF is a global management consulting services company with over 8,000 full- and part-time employees. We are not your typical consultants: at ICF, business analysts and policy specialists work together with digital strategists, data scientists and creatives. We combine unmatched industry expertise with cutting-edge engagement capabilities to help organisations solve their most complex challenges. Since 1969, public and private sector clients have worked with ICF to navigate change and shape the future.
We provide research, evaluation and technical assistance services to EU institutions, the UK Government and other non-governmental organisations. We are expanding our services and to support this growth we are looking for a Junior Data Scientist with strong Python experience and knowledge of natural language processing (NLP) to join our growing team.
The position entails working with colleagues to deploy data science tools and techniques. You will have the opportunity to work on projects in a wide array of fields, from consumer policy to health, justice to migration, education to food, security to the environment. You will employ data science techniques to build models, analyse data, and create visualisations.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
The Junior Data Scientist is also expected to contribute to drafting reports and proposals, and present research findings to clients. You will typically be working on a few projects at a time, interacting with all levels of ICF staff and external stakeholders. We are particularly interested in individuals who can demonstrate a real interest in UK/European policies in the areas we cover. We are looking for candidates with the following knowledge and skills:
- An academic background in a social science, statistics, computer science, or mathematics
- Strong command of Python and its associated libraries
- Familiarity with NLP and an interest in further development in this area
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Good organisational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of database systems, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, is a plus
- Experience with version control systems, such as Git, is a plus
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. We can only solve the world’s toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are committed to creating a culture where we embrace our differences in ideas and identities. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. Learn more about what we do and our commitment to inclusion.
The benefits of joining ICF:
Our people at ICF are our most important asset, so we invest in them from the moment they arrive. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. We offer a hybrid working policy, which will provide you with the flexibility to collaborate in the office, as well as in the comfort of your own home, ensuring you are able to successfully deliver the requirements of your role. To support you, our employee wellbeing hub is designed to provide highly personalised support across a comprehensive range of wellbeing issues, such as mind, body, finances, community, career programs and HR support. We enjoy celebrating success which is why we have a competitive recognition program called ‘You Matter’, which awards points as a ‘thank you’ for your work achievements. These can be spent on a large variety of high-quality items, as well as online or high-street vouchers, all with zero tax payable by the employee.
ICF also offers a range of competitive benefits, which include:
- Single Private Medical Insurance cover with no restrictions on existing conditions.
- Dental insurance and an online GP service.
- 25 days annual leave, plus UK bank holidays (annual leave increases with years of service).
- Pension scheme with 5% of salary employer contribution
- Life assurance paying 4x annual salary and Group Income Protection paying 66% of salary for up to 5 years if you are off work on long-term sick.
- Enhanced parental leave policies, enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption, and shared parental pay.