Data ScientistFull time
This opportunity will require working in the Orlando office 4 days a week and may require relocation
Do you love the art of using data to solve complex business problems? We do too – and would be excited to have you join our team at Walt Disney World!
Our mission as part of the Commercial Strategy organization is to put our data assets to work, and apply quantitative techniques to discover previously unknown insights about our Guests and business. We get to work directly with the major decision-makers at Disney who shape the Walt Disney World experience. Through our insights, we help form and improve Disney products and offerings.
This is a unique role, in that it looks across a variety of functional areas, and enables the creation of holistic models to better predict and prescribe improvements to the overall Walt Disney World business. A position like this puts you in the middle of the main commercial decisions of the company – and is a great way to showcase your data science skills!
- While each day will be different, with rotating priorities, the main themes for this role include you being a(n):
- Data Wrangler: You understand data and how it supports solving business problems.
- You will translate the business and analytic needs into data requirements to ensure you have the information you need to solve the problem, and work with technology partners to troubleshoot data quality
- You will work in a large, complex data environment, compiling and cleansing data across a variety of domains to create a foundation for your analytic work.
- Analytics Creator: You leverage data science skills to deliver mathematical models and adhoc statistical analyses.
- You will conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data collection and exploration, feature generation and reduction, and algorithm selection.
- You will determine the best techniques to use to solve problems efficiently and effectively, examining all aspects of the analytics curve across statistical, predictive, and prescriptive methods.
- Insights Translator: You interpret outputs of analyses and models to make relevant recommendations.
- You will draw inferences, quantify uncertainty/risk, and identify limitations to accurately summarize your findings, relating them back to the problem at hand.
- You will successfully craft key takeaways and next steps in the context of business actionability, while facilitating the integration of your work into the decision making process.
- Knowledge of data science/advanced analytic concepts
- Experience developing presentations and reports using quantitative information for non-technical stakeholders
- Proficiency in at least one programming language such as R or Python
- Advanced knowledge of relational databases and SQL programming
- Knowledge of industry leading data and analytic tools (e.g., Snowflake, Git, Sagemaker, Dataiku, Tableau)
- Time-management skills, with ability to prioritize multiple requests and communicate status to partners/leadership
Required Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of data science/advanced analytics concepts experience in a quantitative field (e.g., statistics, mathematics, econometrics)
Masters degree in a quantitative field (e.g., statistics, mathematics, econometrics)
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.