Data Scientist - McLaren Advanced ProjectsFull time
At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
McLaren Advanced Projects
McLaren Advanced Projects (MAP) is a multidisciplinary engineering unit that works on many of the most ambitious technical challenges at McLaren Racing. The newly created function is designed to innovate and unlock performance across various racing series operating worldwide.
But racing is just the start. McLaren Advanced Projects also collaborates with McLaren Automotive on hypercars and supercars, and undertakes projects on a wide range of scientific and engineering projects for our partners.
Within McLaren Advanced Projects, we assemble integrated teams to work across the full development process from concept to release, drawing on 60 years of continuous development in F1 and beyond. Team members bring a wide range of skills to bear on our projects, from aerodynamics and computational fluid dynamics to lightweight structures and composites, data science and advanced simulations.
Purpose of the Role
The main purpose of this role is to apply Data Science methods and techniques to enhance our software and simulation tools for analysis, data processing and ultimately performance development. We are looking for Data Scientists at early to middle career levels, particularly those with prior experience in applying data science methods to real-world problems using Python.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Take and understand project requirements to define specifications and to architect robust, scalable and testable software and data science solutions
- Confidently analyse and overcome technical challenges with workable and innovative solutions
- Understand the processes and goals underlying the various technical areas you work alongside
- Development of analytical solutions to complex engineering problems using leading edge data science, modelling, and optimisation techniques
- Maintain consistent standards and approaches adopted by the team
- Accurately estimate activity timescales and provide regular progress reports
- Efficiently manage your workload
- Raise awareness of and mitigate against potential technical risks
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Required - Technical
- Strong academic background with undergraduate degree in a relevant mathematical discipline or equivalent industry experience
- Broad knowledge of data science algorithms and techniques across regression, classification, time series modelling, optimisation, probabilistic modelling, and unsupervised learning
- Previous experience with software and data analysis in a technical environment
- Highly skilled with Python programming, including sklearn and TensorFlow/PyTorch
- Able to implement a data science algorithm from scratch in Python based on an academic research paper
- Experience in the analysis of complex data sets to understand underlying behaviour
Required - Personal
- Effective communication, both written and verbal
- Open mindedness to ensure high flexibility and the capacity to manage rapid and profound changes of scopes, development directions and processes
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others
- Recognises the place of the new division in the wider context of the team and how this group contributes to the success of McLaren Racing.
- Flexible approach to working hours and occasional travel
- Postgraduate qualification in Data Science at Master’s or PhD level
- 3+ years’ experience working directly in Data Science with Python
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming and development of large software projects
- Experience with MLOps, development and production pipelines and deployment frameworks.
- Experience with Docker and Kubenetes
- Knowledge of web development techniques and dashboarding
- Basic knowledge of vehicle dynamics and the development processes employed within F1
What can McLaren Offer
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Advanced Projects is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32 min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.