Aero Performance Data ScientistFull time
At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again
Purpose of the Role:
F1 is at the forefront of data analysis. Accessing, viewing, and interpreting complex data sets is part of our everyday activities. We are searching for an inquisitive, self-starting individual to help strengthen, develop, and progress the capabilities of the Aero Performance team through the continuous improvement of data science tools and techniques used within the group.
As a Data Scientist, you will play a critical role in leveraging data-driven insights to enhance our team’s performance, optimize problems, and drive competitive advantage in the dynamic world of motorsports. Your expertise in data analysis, statistical modelling, and machine learning will be vital in extracting actionable insights from complex datasets, contributing to our pursuit of excellence on and off the racetrack.
This role will focus on extracting knowledge and understanding from the large datasets gathered daily within the department, making links between tools, and distilling the information into usable observations to drive forward car development. This role would be suited to an individual with experience working within a similar data science role looking for the opportunity to find novel solutions to problems. Having the ability to share knowledge and experience is important in this role as it will involve explaining difficult concepts and supporting junior engineers understanding within the team.
The role will require a strong understanding of machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques for prediction and classification, along with a detailed understanding of mathematic and statistical concepts underpinning robust data analysis.
The role is wide ranging and there is the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of projects involving stakeholders across the entire engineering function.
- Conduct comprehensive analysis of large and complex datasets, including race telemetry, wind tunnel data, CFD data, and driver feedback, to identify patterns, trends, and anomalies that can inform decision-making processes.
- Develop and implement statistical models and algorithms to optimize aerodynamic performance. Apply statistical techniques to identify correlations and causations that impact overall performance.
- Utilize machine learning algorithms and techniques to uncover insights from structured and unstructured data sources.
- Create visually compelling and intuitive dashboards, reports, and visualizations to communicate data-driven insights to key stakeholders, including aerodynamicists, race engineering, and team management.
- Stay abreast of the latest advancements in data science and machine learning. Explore new methodologies, tools, and technologies that can enhance the team’s analytical capabilities and gain a competitive edge.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including race engineers, vehicle dynamics experts, and aerodynamicists, to integrate data insights into the team’s decision-making processes and overall performance - improvement initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- MEng/MSc or PhD degree in a quantitative field such as Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or a related discipline.
- Proven experience in data analysis, statistical modelling, and machine learning techniques.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB.
- Strong knowledge of data visualization tools and techniques.
- Experience working with large datasets, including structured and unstructured data sources.
- Familiarity with motor racing, Formula 1, or other motorsports is preferred but not mandatory.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate complex data concepts into actionable insights for non-technical stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm for engineering and science
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Comfortable with rapid changes to planned work
- Ability to expand on an idea and propose solutions to problems
- Objective, data driven approach
- High attention to details
- Promote collaborative work when discussing results
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions ad work with minimal supervision
What McLaren can offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.