Data ScientistFull time
Last year we established an Analytics function, and we now are looking for two more data scientists to join the successful team. In this role you will support senior management and operational departments by using data science to generate business value. If you are excited to help build something new, with the support of the world’s fourth-largest largest retailer, we’d love to hear from you.
We work predominantly in Python and have a modern data stack on Azure including Snowflake, Databricks and MLFlow. In addition to machine learning, we expect to be involved in forecasting, optimisation, simulation and geospatial analysis. In all cases the emphasis is on improving decisions and processes to deliver tangible results.
There is an established Analytics team at International Head Office in Germany and growing teams in other Lidl countries. Therefore, you will be part of a global support network. In GB, you will be working closely with our Business Intelligence and Management Accounting teams who are co-located in our brand-new office in Southwest London.
We have moved to a hybrid working model with a recommended 2 days in the office per week for appropriate Head Office and Regional roles, empowering our teams to choose how and where they work best. We feel it is important that, where possible, we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible and trust our teams to determine the right environments that work most effectively for them.
What you’ll do
- Work with Analytics and Controlling colleagues to provide support for all national operational departments in deriving and solving analytical questions either through deep-dive analysis or the development of analytical solutions.
- Analyse data from various sources, both internal and external, to create new insights and solve real-world business problems
- Use modern data science techniques for the optimisation of business processes using predictive and prescriptive methods.
- Own your own data science projects end-to-end: defining requirements, conducting experiments, demonstrating value and supporting implementation\adoption.
- Communicate effectively with non-technical colleagues; obtain recognition for your work.
- Take responsibility for achieving high technical standards so that your solutions are appropriate, comprehensible, well-structured and reproducible.
- Share your knowledge and enthusiasm for data science with colleagues; help them to be more data-savvy.
- Keep up to date with the latest analytics and data science trends and identify opportunities to enhance our methods or tools.
- Participate in the global analytics community and the exchange of methods and solutions.
- When required, support the development of solutions in cooperation with other countries or the international analytics teams to ensure the rapid dissemination of solutions in the global Lidl analytics community.
What you’ll need
- Self-motivated and proactive individual with a can-do attitude and the ability to work on projects and solve problems independently.
- Genuine enthusiasm for using data to solve problem
- Strong experience of applying data science to real-world problems
- Strong knowledge of machine learning, statistics, optimisation, and data mining methods, especially in Python
- Strong knowledge of data wrangling and manipulation; a sceptical and quality-oriented approach
- Degree in data science, operational research, mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, or a similar subject
- Strong ability to understand complex problems, and to analyse them in detail
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to deliver accurate results
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team
What you’ll receive
This isn’t getting by. This is getting what you deserve. Working at Lidl is rewarding, in every sense, because we give you the extensive training to succeed in your role and plenty of opportunities to progress your career here. We’re proud to offer a competitive salary from £56,100 up to £78,100* (depending on experience) with 35 days’ holiday per year (pro rata). Save for your future with our pension scheme, or save today with a 10% in store discount, plus extra discounts on days out, cinema tickets and much more.
*includes 10% non-contractual London Weighting allowance