Data Scientist IFull time
Title and Summary
Data Scientist I
Overview Mastercard works to connect and power a sustainable and inclusive global economy. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
About the Team
The candidate who fills this role will join us in Cyber and Intelligence (C&I), which is one of Mastercard’s fastest growing business units and is responsible for developing technologies and solutions that provide safe, secure, and frictionless interactions for Mastercard’s customers and partners.
We look forward to connecting with you and learning how your unique differences can make a difference within C&I at Mastercard.
The Cyber Analytics' team of data scientists comb Mastercard’s huge stores of data looking for meaningful and actionable insights related to cybersecurity and fraud. Using subject matter expertise and sophisticated modeling, we educate other teams and customers on best practices and innovate new tools to prevent bad actors from entering the network in the first place.
The Launch program is a development program that is supplemental to the role and is designed to help you transition from being a student to being a Mastercard employee. In this program, you will participate in:
- Four-day orientation focused on getting to know Mastercard, building your skills, and be a force for good (Mastercard’s culture)
- Professional skills workshops
- Launch Innovation Week
- Social impact – pro bono team challenge
- Global Volunteer Challenge
As a Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to:
- Gain subject matter knowledge on cybersecurity best practices and common - types of fraud. Advise technical teams in accordance with subject matter knowledge and participate in educational initiatives.
- Work closely with product and technical teams to understand product, usage, and data pipelines. Identify customer pain points and devise innovate solutions using data and modeling.
- Competently handle large datasets, sifting for patterns and trends and translate those insights into technical solutions and education materials.
- Actively participate in machine learning modeling work, including clustering algorithms, natural language processing, classification modeling, and image detection.
- Partner with other teams (Safety Net, Smart Authentication, Data Strategy) to combine multiple sources of data in new and insightful ways.
- Coordinate with product, design, data architecture, engineering development, and marketing teams to bring your models into customer-facing products.
- Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s or accelerated master’s program graduating between Dec 2023 – June 2024.
- Less than 1 year of professional work experience (not including internships).
- Insightful problem-solver, able to gather input from multiple divergent sources, narrow in on any problems or gaps, and propose effective solutions.
- Conversant with data: comfortable working with data sets of varying sizes, able to generate descriptive statistics and find simple patterns. Bonus: knowledge of and experience with machine learning models.
- Familiar with at least one of the following tools: Tableau, SQL, Python, AWS, Hadoop.
- Excellent communicator, especially in group settings and with presentations to differing audiences.
This role is not eligible for Mastercard’s work authorization sponsorship. As such, candidates must be eligible to work in the United States, now as well as in the future, without employer sponsorship. For example, students or recent graduates in the United States on an F1 visa (including those with CPT or OPT authorization) are not eligible for this role. In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.