Ford is redefining how it will build a better world for the future by creating a culture and opportunities where employees will capitalize on Ford’s excellence in designing and building the most iconic products while also helping develop the future of world-class connected Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV). We call this new business Model e. The creation of Model e was informed by the success of small, passionate Ford teams that developed the Mustang Mach-E SUV and F-150 Lightning pickup, as well as Ford’s dedicated EV division in China. Similarly, dedicated teams within Model e will create the software platforms and fully networked vehicle architectures to support delightful, always-on and ever-improving vehicles and experiences that will allow us to deliver over 50% of our total sales in BEV and 33 million connected vehicles by 2030. We are building a team of the world’s best software, electrical and automotive talent and turning them loose to create shockingly great electric vehicles and digital experiences for new generations of customers. These changes in our business will allow us the greatest opportunity to bring value and serve customers since Henry Ford scaled the Model T.
What will it be like to work at Model e?
At Model e we are passionate about solving hard problems and delivering extraordinary solutions to change the world. We challenge competitors, bureaucracy, obstacles and even our own assumptions. We have zero tolerance for bias or personal agendas. We are swift and decisive, trusting the experts, believing the data, seeking out and listening to bold intuition – regardless of the source. We are insurgents; averse to complexity, suspicious of habits and open to risk. We constantly learn. We focus on the mission and deliver with urgency and speed. We are an agile team, leveraging rapidly evolving technology to innovate, learn and iterate. We trust each other, surface issues openly and solve problems collaboratively. Most importantly we raise the talent bar with every hire.
What you’ll be able to do:
This role will provide you with a unique opportunity to build a data and analytics ecosystem to drive important inventory optimization use cases within the recently launched Model e business. The Data Scientist will drive and lead building, maintaining, and refining the machine-learning capabilities that will be the core of Model e’s new business decisions, including dynamic inventory allocation, demand sensing, and overall integrated sales and operations planning optimization.
The Data Scientist will be an integral part of the Customer Business Systems technical team for the Model e business. Reporting to the GM of Customer Business Systems, this person will lead critical projects in the pipeline that will shape the future of Ford Model e.
The Data Scientist will build and maintain data science and analytics capabilities that will be central to Model e’s Customer Business Systems and inventory optimization requirements. This technical leader will interface directly with Ford’s Global Data Insights & Analytics team (GDIA) as well as with Ford IT to build and advance the frontiers of Model e’s order fulfillment and global planning (e.g., demand forecasting, supply planning, inventory allocation and inventory rebalancing, etc.) and will be critical to unlocking sustainable value creation for Ford’s Model e EV business.
The Data Scientist will have a strong technical background, with experience building digital products from concept through to deployment. The ideal candidate will have strong data science capabilities (Python, SQL, Airflow, ML algorithmic techniques), experience working on cloud-based systems (ideally Google Cloud) as has worked in a business context where translating business requirements into technical solutions was essential.
They will be a natural problem solver and strategist who will enjoy working in an entrepreneurial environment and stitching together components from the traditional Ford business with transformational ideas and concepts to drive the Model e order fulfillment strategy. They will have the ability to build critical relationships and work cross functionally with members of marketing, sales, finance, planning, GDIA, IT, etc. As a technical leader they will mentor junior team members and help build a culture of trust and a sense of belonging, accountability, speed, and the ability to constructively challenge each other. They will have a strong bias to action, iterate quickly and have fun while doing the best work of their career.
Minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study
- 3+ years of experience, with specific focus on data science and machine learning
- Technical qualifications:
- 3+ years of DS experience with end-to-end cloud-based development (develop, test, industrialize, deploy), Google Cloud preferred
- 3+ years of Coding experience with Python modeling, with demonstrated ability to go from concept through to implementation. Experience with Pandas, Scikit learn, and NumPy packages as well as ensemble-based ML algorithms (e.g., random forest, gradient boosted trees) and Deep Learning algorithms (e.g., RNNs, CNNs, GANs). Expertise in time series modeling. Working knowledge of natural language processing and anomaly detections.
- 3+ years of SQL experience for data manipulation/data engineering
Our preferred qualifications:
- Master’s degree, PhD, or MBA in an appropriate field of study
- Ability to travel to Corktown periodically
- North America and global experience in supply chain related functions (S&OP, inventory allocation, replenishment and planning, allocation optimization, EOQ, Lean operations, etc)
- Tangible experience with the full life cycle of building digital solutions (from PoC through to Production)
- Relevant experience linking business requirements to digital product development
- Record of accomplishment working DevOps and agile (vs. waterfall approach)
- Disruptor – willing to push for change
- Challenger mindset – ability to push past status quo & obstacles to implement vision
What you’ll receive in return:
At Model e we strive to support our employees' success professionally and personally with compensation and rewards that fit the needs of their lifestyle.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits including a “Work from Anywhere” structure and the support needed to be successful in a remote environment.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Ford Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.