About the team
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines machine learning with expert human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that transform the way our clients discover what they love. We believe in a curiosity-driven, data science culture where members have autonomy to deliver impact through end-to-end, full-stack product development and ownership. The diversity of the problems that we work on and the data-rich environment of our business make it possible, even essential, to bring the tools of multiple disciplines to bear on our hardest problems. We are looking for data scientists and leaders to join us as we revolutionize retail.
The Global Optimization team is connecting the dots for our clients and inventory. We seek to ensure that Stitch Fix’s systems are operating at their global optimum rather than at local optima. The team owns distribution of inventory among clients so that the outcomes for all clients are simultaneously considered given inventory constraints. We also own the optimization engine that will power making several critical decisions based on client demand, for example merchandise buying and allocation. We partner with Product Managers, Merchandise Planners & Buyers as well as other Algorithm teams to build central tools that cut across organizational and functional boundaries of the company.
About the role
As a Staff Machine Learning Data Scientist in the Global Optimization team, you will design, implement and validate improvements to both inventory distribution and optimization engine based on client demand to scale the impact to broader Stitch Fix. You will be responsible for maintaining production systems that power various use cases, and follow strong engineering principles to keep the maintenance low on the team.
This team has considerable opportunity for impact, by enabling all merchandise buying decisions based on client demand and fundamentally changing the way we evaluate inventory health across the company.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
Leverage your skills in data analysis, solving optimization problems, building production ready code, and running A/B tests. Work on innovative projects that are a strategic priority to the company and improve our ability to best serve our clients through efficient use of our resources. Bring a fresh perspective to old problems by challenging past assumptions and constraints or reframing perspectives to find possibilities Have a holistic view on the business by supporting capabilities and projects that span a wide array of business functions and stakeholders Operate as a full stack data scientist participating in every stage of development from idea, analysis, proof of principle to putting into production with strong engineering practices Leverage the client-product matching information provided by the inventory targeting algorithm to enhance cross-team visibility into product and client performance to improve all stages of the client and merchandise lifecycles.
We’re excited about you because…
- Are an expert in data science, e.g. not just fitting a model but being held accountable for creating business value.
- Have extensive experience developing and maintaining applications to drive business decisions in production systems.
- Have an ability to frame complex problems and generate strategic options leveraging the data when it is available or offering creative and pragmatic alternatives when it is not
- Have extensive experience developing and maintaining capabilities and models in production, leveraging an expertise in python; data warehousing; ETL management using Airflow/Spark/Presto/Trino/Docker; unit and functional testing best practices with CI/CD, etc
- Have an ability to recognize future needs in our architecture and devise effective interfaces between algorithmic solutions that are necessary to solve the existing and future business needs.
- You are motivated by challenge and do not shy away from potential failure
- You’re happiest as a team player, able to balance time against multiple systems and work streams that span the team’s charter
Why you’ll love working at stitch fix…
- We are a group of bright, kind people who are motivated by challenge. We value integrity, innovation and trust. You’ll bring these characteristics to life in everything you do at Stitch Fix.
- We cultivate a community of diverse perspectives— all voices are heard and valued.
- We are an innovative company and leverage our strengths in fashion and tech to disrupt the future of retail.
- We win as a team, commit to our work, and celebrate grit together because we value strong relationships.
- We boldly create the future while keeping equity and sustainability at the center of all that we do.
- We are the owners of our work and are energized by solving problems through a growth mindset lens. We think broadly and creatively through every situation to create meaningful impact.
- We offer comprehensive compensation packages and inclusive health and wellness benefits.
Compensation and benefits
Our anticipated compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets, and the range below indicates the low end of the lowest-compensated market to the high end of the highest-compensated market. This position is eligible for new hire and ongoing grants of restricted stock units depending on employee and company performance. In addition, the position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external careers site.
This link leads to the machine readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data.