About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Data Scientist to join the Safety team. The ideal candidate will be working closely with a highly cross-functional team, including product management, engineering, and operations, to make the Uber platform as safe as possible through new products and policies.
This will include providing an end-to-end data science workflow on high transparency projects that includes prioritization the business problem, deep-dive analysis to size up opportunities and to surface insights, owning the experimentation cycle to full global rollouts, and eventually, impact estimation. In addition, you help ensure high-quality of data science output from the team, including crafting and operationalizing frameworks and protocols while also being an active member of the science review committee.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate strong technical skills, including coding, advanced statistics, experimentation and causal inference techniques, and machine learning, while also being able to present results to a senior leadership audience.
What You Will Do
- Own end-to-end data science lifecycle on high visibility safety projects, including deep dive analysis, experimentation design and readout, and metrics monitoring and product iteration
- Work closely with Uber’s Core Services Product Managers, Engineers, and Operations Team to understand new opportunities and be a thought partner in solutioning
- Perform data analysis into issues impacting our users in order to find the root cause
- Design data science frameworks and protocols to ensure high quality of output by team
- Provide additional senior DS support for critical issues
- Bachelor’s or equivalent experience in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative field.
- Experience with Data ETL, Data Profiling
- Proficient with SQL as well as distributed data variants such as: HiveQL and PrestoSQL/Trino
- Proficient in Python
- Hands-on experience with experimentation techniques (A/B testing, causal inference)
- Minimum 8 years as a Data Scientist or equivalent
- Experience working with product managers or operations on supporting new product development or iterations while owning a full DS lifecycle
- Exposure to safety, fraud, or risk management spaces
- Investigative, thorough, and sharp - able to detect and find the root cause for anomalies, errors, or issues
- Well-honed communication and presentation skills: able to transform a complex quantitative analysis into a succinct executive-level report
- We encourage people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are encouraged to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
- Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, we’d love to hear from you! Please get in touch with email@example.com
For San Francisco, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $195,000 per year - $217,000 per year.
You will be eligible to participate in Uber’s bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.