Job Description And Responsibilities
Visa’s Data and AI Platform is a core underlying engine for all critical applications at Visa. It supports over a billion transaction processing in real time daily and the clearing and settlement of trillions of dollars annually. A key part of the platform is its AI system. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI-ML) have proven very effective for generating predictions, deriving deep insights, and solving sophisticated business and technology problems across many areas at Visa. In 1993, Visa pioneered the use of tree-based and neural network-based predictive modeling techniques for real-time, risk-based fraud analytics for Advanced Authorization. Today, Visa has over 300 models with over 60 real time models that solve complex payments issues and deliver high value to our clients, all within milliseconds.
We are now entering an era of exponential advancement in AI-powered technologies, accelerated by the recent advent of Generative AI applications and Large language models. Visa is leading the industry in its embrace of GAI and LLMs in all areas from client facing innovation Visa is well positioned to pioneer and lead in the current collaboration commerce by leveraging our data for Visa and our clients in growing and optimizing global economy while still protecting the commerce ecosystem. We are at the forefront of new and exciting explorations and discoveries on the power of AI.
The Senior Vice President of AIML will be an exceptional thought leader in applied AI and the use of LLMs and GAI in industry solutions. They will provide leadership across the technology division and the company to drive the next generation of our AI strategic vision. We are looking for a unique leader with proven hands on deep technical expertise and understanding of AI techniques like deep learning, neural networks, LLMs and GAI. The candidate will be responsible for a cross-functional global team of data engineers, scientists and solution architects to define technology strategy, project architecture and play a leadership role providing guidance to all stakeholders.. The individual must be a strong leader, able to engage and challenge senior audiences, when necessary, identify and prioritize actions, deliver key AI innovations and navigate a matrixed, global environment.
This role will work closely with the rest of the Technology leadership team in setting the AIML roadmap, analyzing and defining the critical initiatives and executing on them.
- Lead company in all aspects of model development and use of next gen artificial intelligence to solve internal and external clients' pain points
- Evaluate, develop and deploy immersive technology solutions in the AI & ML space
- Understand impact of Generative AI and ChatGPT on Visa’s business and drive solutions across domain areas
- Select features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Extending company’s data with third party sources of information when needed
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Comprehensive understanding and demonstrated expertise in AI, ML, deep learning, neural networks and related technologies.
- Proven hands-on experience with Large Language Models (LLMs), Chatbot technologies, and General Artificial Intelligence (GAI).
- Proficiency in AI & ML tools, platforms and libraries such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.
- Solid understanding of programming languages such as Python, R, Java etc., frequently used in the field of AI and ML.
- Experience in working with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, etc., to support AI and ML initiatives.
- Knowledge of designing and implementing AI models and algorithms fit for real-world, scalable applications.
- Experience in setting up and utilizing both on premise big data architectures and cloud-based AI solutions on platforms like AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Expert on responsible and ethical use of data, data governance and privacy regulations including GDPR and CCPA.
- Proven record of driving business innovation and advancement through the strategic application of AI & ML technologies.
- Demonstrated success in building and implementing strategic AI & ML roadmaps aligned with business objectives.
- Evidence of leading teams towards the successful launch and maintenance of AI-powered initiatives.
- Historical contributions to the AI & ML fields, including but not limited to publications, patents or successful projects.
Management and Organizational Skills:
- Proven ability to lead multidisciplinary technology teams, providing guidance, and nurturing talent.
- Track record of effectively communicating complex technical concepts to diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in change management concerning the adoption of new technologies.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, teams, and priorities concurrently.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across various departments, ensuring seamless collaboration and communication.
- Proven capability to align departmental strategies with the broader corporate vision.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, attract and develop talents in AI, ML and related areas within the technology department.
- Experience in creating a collaborative and innovative work culture that encourages risk-taking and fosters excellence.
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office 2-3 set days a week (determined by leadership/site), with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% or more of the time based on business needs.
- 15 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 12 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/ JD/MD) or a minimum of 10 years of work experience with a PhD
- 18 or more years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, PhD)
- Masters' or PhD in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 15+ years’ direct experience in AI and ML, with a focus on guiding business strategy through technological innovation.
- A strong research background in AI and ML, evidenced by publications in top-tier conferences or journals.
- Professional certifications in AI, ML, Data Science, or related fields would be a plus.
- Demonstrable experience in employing LLMs and GAI in a business context.
- Strong technical acumen with an understanding of programming languages such as Python, R, or Java.
- Familiarity with AI & ML platforms, tools and libraries, and comfort with adopting new technologies as they emerge.
- Proficiency in cloud-based AI solutions and big data technologies is highly desired.
- Proven experience managing multidisciplinary teams and overseeing large-scale technology projects.
- Exceptional communication skills with a knack for translating complex technical jargon into understandable language for non-technical stakeholders.
- A firm grasp of data governance and privacy regulations is essential.
U.S. APPLICANTS ONLY: The estimated salary range for a new hire into this position is 300,000 to 400,000 USD, which may include potential sales incentive payments (if applicable). Salary may vary depending on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this position may be eligible for bonus and equity. Visa has a comprehensive benefits package for which this position may be eligible that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (k), FSA/HSA, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Wellness Program.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.