Senior Data Scientist, Connected StoresFull time
We’re transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
The Connected Stores team is building the future in-store shopping experience for customers. We believe the future of grocery won’t be about choosing between shopping online and in-store. Most of us are going to do both. The mission of the team is to bring the best of the online shopping experience into physical stores through technologies such as Caper Carts, Carrot Tags, Scan & Pay, and more.
About the job
As the second data scientist on the team, the role requires a generalist mindset to use data to drive the team forward. You will be responsible for product strategy, measurement, analysis, and modeling. This role will work closely with Product, Engineering, Design, and Ops to:
Set the course: Connect the business strategy to a set of metrics and OKRs that reflect the strategy
Steer the ship: Identify and prioritize new product opportunities using data
Create the future: Build intelligent systems that use data to improve the in-store shopping experience
Show what works: Measure the effectiveness of newly launched product features The team is still new and the effort is unproven. The role requires a startup founder mindset where an ideal candidate can:
Drive critical efforts to completion with little oversight, while occasionally jumping into roles adjacent to data science (i.e. data engineering, machine learning engineer, etc)
Bring new ideas to the team that get incorporated into the product roadmap
Ruthlessly prioritize among requests from multiple competing stakeholders
- 5+ years of work experience in a data science or related field
- Used data science skills to improve the launch of a new, unproven product
- Led a team to adopt at least one new metric with which to measure the performance of the team.
- Ran an A/B test at a company
- Built a machine learning or statistical model that made its way into production even if the code you wrote was completely rewritten before being deployed
- Experience with Python (pandas), SQL, git, and Jupyter notebooks
- 8+ years of work experience in a data science or related field
- Used data science skills and contributed product ideas to enable a team to develop and launch a new successful product and scale that product to a large user base
- Led a cross-functional team to design a system of metrics that connected the business strategy to a set of core metrics and assigned ownership of those metrics to the team.
- Significant causal experimentation experience in environments with small sample sizes.
- Built a complex machine learning or statistical model and deployed/supported it in production
- Experience with Python (pandas; scikit-learn, statsmodels, or PyTorch; a visualization library that is not matplotlib; a web framework such as flask), SQL (Snowflake), git, Jupyter notebooks
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
CA, NY, CT, NJ $185,000—$230,000 USD WA $177,000—$221,000 USD OR, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, RI, VT, DC, PA, VA, CO, TX, IL, HI $170,000—$212,000 USD All other states $153,000—$191,000 USD