It takes a Blizzard to make a Blizzard game, and that level of effort doesn’t end once the game is released; we support our games for years after they’re in the hands of gamers world-wide. Global Insights works closely with the game development, business, and internal service teams at Blizzard to produce insights and models that enable us to make the most epic player experiences. The machine learning & AI group within Global Insights focuses on applying the latest in key research areas to build lasting data products and tools for our game and business teams.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist who specializes in machine learning (ML) application in computer graphics to join our Global Insights team. Blizzard data scientists design and deploy data-powered products and services that serve the business and development of Blizzard games every day. The ideal candidate is passionate about the latest innovations in ML and AI; has expertise in designing deep learning system in computer graphics domain; with strong programming skill to help deploy and maintain them.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this role is Irvine, California.
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning solutions for computer graphic problems to enhance game development and gameplay objectives.
- Work closely with software engineers and tech artists to deploy, automate, and maintain models seamlessly on production systems.
- Communicate about machine learning models and products to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Has 2+ years’ work experience with Master or PhD in ML and computer graphics
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the following: deep learning on 3D representations, generative models such as diffusion models and generative adversarial network (GAN), and deep learning for character animation
- Hands-on applied or research experience developing machine learning models on large image/3D model data sets
- Proficient in Python and experienced in at least one other higher-level programming languages like Java, C++, C#, etc.
- Practical experience with deep learning libraries/frameworks like Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras, or JAX
- Experience with 3D graphics programs like 3ds Max, Maya, Blender, or Houdini
- Experience with game engines like Unreal or Unity
- Experience with procedural content generation for video games
- Experience with cloud computing services like Google Cloud, AWS (Amazon Web Service), or Azure
- Experience with real-time computer graphics libraries like OpenGL, DirectX, or Vulkan
- A track record of original contributions to research communities of ML and computer graphics
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- How you think machine learning can support game development and business
- How you can contribute to the effort of using machine learning to support Blizzard
The Global Insights team prides in its dedication to fostering a healthy work-life balance, promoting mentorship at every level, and prioritizing mental and physical wellbeing. We offer a robust mentorship program for career development and provides opportunities to build rapport among team members. We are committed to providing growth opportunities for team members to look forward to.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to crafting a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance; 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching; Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave; Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others; If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance. Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/.
In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $92,920.00 - $171,814.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.