Senior Associate, Data Science - People AnalyticsFull time
Senior Associate, Data Science - People Analytics
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you’ll be part of a team that’s leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives.
As a Data Scientist on Capital One’s People Strategy & Analytics team, you’ll be on the leading edge of applying analytics to talent, combining machine learning and social science to build models that seek to understand associate behavior, and inform strategies aimed at expanding Capital One’s talent advantage.
A data scientist on the People Strategy & Analytics team is responsible for designing and delivering modeling, as well as research and analysis in support of Capital One’s talent agenda, which includes a wide range of topics such as:
- Attracting, developing, and retaining top talent
- Ensuring a phenomenal associate experience
- Building a high performing, highly diverse executive pipeline
- Maximizing productivity
- Rethinking how we measure talent
Human capital problems require particular attention to sample size impacts, covariance, selection bias, modeling choices, and other issues that can be the difference between highly meaningful & impactful results, and noise. In this role, you will leverage structured problem solving approaches and data science skills to identify and deliver high impact solutions, as well as develop unique data science skills and human-capital expertise.
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Passionate about human capital: You are excited by the value we can add to our company and our associates, and are inspired to help make a large positive impact
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You’re not afraid to share a new idea.
- Technical. You’re comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- Statistically-minded. You’ve built models, validated them, and backtested them. You know how to interpret a confusion matrix or a ROC curve. You have experience with clustering, classification, sentiment analysis, time series, and deep learning.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 2 years of experience in data analytics, or Master’s Degree, or PhD
- At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
- At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
- Master’s Degree in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics), or PhD in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
- Experience working with AWS
- At least 2 years’ experience in Python, Scala, or R
- At least 2 years’ experience with machine learning
- At least 2 years’ experience with SQL
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site):
$133,200 - $152,000 for Data Science Masters
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate’s offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at theCapital One Careers website. Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.