About Store No8
We are the incubation arm of Walmart. Store No8 was formed in 2017 as part of Walmart’s larger innovation mission to shape the future of commerce. We pursue big ideas and take risks by stepping outside of Walmart’s core business to focus on leapfrog capabilities across conversational commerce, mixed reality, in-store digitization, and more. Our ultimate goal: fuel Walmart’s core business, create new operational efficiencies, and unlock amazing experiences for our customers in the long-term.
This is the opportunity to get in early with a stealth health & wellness project currently incubating in Store No8, where you will discover and deliver the insights that will power the future of wellbeing for our customers, through the unparalleled scale of Walmart’s platform.
About the Role
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to join our team. You will be finding patterns in data sets, building ML models, and applying state-of-the-art AI technologies. You will partner with data engineering, product, and data governance team closely to build scalable ML/AI solutions. You will need to be a self-starter with a bias for action and excellent communication skills.
This is a rare opportunity, moving at the speed of a start-up, with the backing of the Fortune 1 company and huge amount of data.
What You’ll Do
- Join a new data science team as one of the early data scientists and have a significant opportunity to make an impact by building next-generation data products in the health and wellness space.
- Collaborate closely with product team with your business acumen and machine learning expertise to shape our product roadmap: Identify new opportunities, propose innovative solutions, improve process, etc.
- Develop ML model to uncover healthcare signals to help customers and improve health outcomes optimize their care journey.
- Leverage cloud-based architectures and technologies to deliver optimized AI/ML models at scale.
- Communicate your team’s work effectively to senior leaders and the executive team regularly.
- Design experimentation and leverage causal inferences to support product testing and rollout.
- Stay up to date with the latest state-of-the-art techniques, Mentor junior data scientists, fostering a culture of learning and innovation.
What You’ll Need
- Proficiency with machine learning and deep learning packages (scikit-learn, lightGBM, xgboost, Tensorflow or PyTorch).
- Experience writing complex SQL queries to surface insights from vast amounts of data.
- Significant programing experience in Python, Spark etc.; Comfortable implementing algorithms from academic papers and building data pipelines.
- Practical experience with cloud services (Google Cloud Platform etc.)
- Master’s or PhD degree in STEM or relevant field; Professional experience in DS, ML, DL
A plus if you also have
- Experience with health care data (claims, EMR) and its regulations.
- Familiarity with experimentation design or causal inferences.
- Experience with Recommender system, LLM, Knowledge graph
- Thrive in fast-paced start-up environment, including balancing multiple projects and dealing with ambiguity.
- Contribution to external open-source projects.
- Agile experience with emphasis on rapid prototyping.
- Understanding of container technologies like Kubernetes
Perks and Benefits
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, options for hybrid and flexible schedules, and much more.
At Walmart, we offer competitive pay as well as performance-based incentive awards and other great benefits for a happier mind, body, and wallet. Health benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage. Financial benefits include 401(k), stock purchase and company-paid life insurance. Paid time off benefits include PTO (including sick leave), parental leave, family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting. Other benefits include short-term and long-term disability, company discounts, Military Leave Pay, adoption and surrogacy expense reimbursement, and more. You will also receive PTO and/or PPTO that can be used for vacation, sick leave, holidays, or other purposes. The amount you receive depends on your job classification and length of employment. It will meet or exceed the requirements of paid sick leave laws, where applicable. For information about PTO, see https://one.walmart.com/notices . Live Better U is a Walmart-paid education benefit program for full-time and part-time associates in Walmart and Sam’s Club facilities. Programs range from high school completion to bachelor’s degrees, including English Language Learning and short-form certificates. Tuition, books, and fees are completely paid for by Walmart. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see One.Walmart at https://bit.ly/3iOOb1J .
The annual salary range for this position is $184,000.00-$260,000.00 Additional compensation includes annual or quarterly performance incentives.
Additional compensation for certain positions may also include:
- Regional Pay Zone (RPZ) (based on location)
- Stock equity incentives
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
- Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 5 years' experience in an analytics related field.
- Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 3 years' experience in an analytics related field.
- Option 3: 7 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Publications or active peer reviewer in related journals or conference, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)