What you’ll be doing…
We use digital data as the fuel to propel us beyond our competition. As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll lead projects that develop and perform complex analyses using Big Data technologies. You’ll be constantly on the lookout for new modeling techniques, evolving technologies, and emerging industry trends so that we can stay ahead of the game. Your work will help us meet our customers’ needs and make it even easier for them to do business with us. Responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, and test custom analytic software systems for telecommunications and data communications applications.
- Analyze customer requirements and develop concepts for new applications.
- Effectively work in an inter-disciplinary team environment.
- Coordinate with project management, software architects, other engineering and data science teams in determining overall system solutions.
- Support the scoping and implementation of technical solutions: estimate, prioritize, and coordinate development activities.
- Apply both procedural and object oriented techniques and Agile methodologies.
- Author technical documentation as needed.
- Support QA team in developing test plans.
What we’re looking for…
With an eye towards improving performance and predictability, you like the science of analytics. Developing resolutions to complex problems, using your sharp judgment to develop methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria allows you to deliver solutions that make a huge impact. You’re able to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences, and you take pride in your ability to share your considerable knowledge with your peers.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience in IT software development with some Big Data software development
- Predictive Analytics model implementation experience in production environments using ML/DL libraries like TensorFlow, H20, Pytorch, Sci-kit Learn.
- Experiences in designing, developing, optimizing, and troubleshooting complex data analytic pipelines and ML model applications using big data related technologies such as Spark or Hive
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in computer science, applied math, statistics or other relevant quantitative discipline, or equivalent industry experience
- Four or more years of relevant work experience as a data scientist, analyst, or statistical modeler.
- Master’s/Ph.D in Computer Science or relevant technology field.
- Experience in using NLP, Bi/Visual analytics, Graph Databases like Neo4j/OrientDB/Neptune
- Programming in Python and R using distributed frameworks like PySpark, Spark, SparkR
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, etc. and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Rigorous understanding of statistics and ability to discern appropriate statistical techniques to problem-solve
- Proven expertise optimizing extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Apache NiFi
- Familiarity with virtualization/containerization, DevOps and CI/CD tools for automation of build, packaging, deployment, and testing
- Experience with Atlassian’s agile development tools including Bitbucket, Jira and Confluence.
- Experience with programming languages, like Java, Python, or Scala.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good soft skills in working with other engineering and analytical teams to arrive at optimal solutions to technical challenges.
- High degree of initiative with a passion for learning technology.
Verizon is committed to maintaining a Total Rewards package which is competitive, valued by our employees, and differentiates us as an Employer of Choice.
- We are a ‘pay for performance’ company and your contribution is rewarded through competitive salaries, performance-based incentives and an employee Stock Program. We create an opportunity for us all to share in the success of Verizon and the value we help to create through this broad-based discretionary equity award program.
- Your benefits are market competitive and delivered by some of the best providers.
- You are provided with a full spectrum of health and wellbeing resources, including a first in-class Employee Assistance Program, to empower you to make positive health decisions.
- We offer generous paid time off benefits.
- Verizon provides training and development for all levels, to help you enhance your skills and develop your career, from funding towards education assistance, award-winning training, online development tools and access to industry research.
- You will be able to take part in volunteering opportunities as part of our environmental, community and sustainability commitment.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Where you’ll be working
In this worksite-based role, you’ll work onsite at a defined location(s).