Uber is looking for a Junior Data Scientist to expand its Team in Krakow!
The Krakow Center of Excellence is taking a new highway to become a major Technology Hub in Central & Eastern Europe, focusing on Data Science, Data Analytics & Automation.
About the role
As a Junior Data Scientist, you will utilize Statistical Modeling and Machine Learning (ML) to identify patterns from large datasets, to then understand phenomena, analyze trends and build predictions.
Most of your actions will hinge on these core and essential activities: business understanding, data mining, data cleaning, data exploration, feature engineering, predictive modeling, data visualization, deployment & continuous improvement!
You will work on projects of varying sizes and time horizons, aligning your prioritizations with the Analytics & Automation Operations Coordinator. You will break down business requirements into technical tasks to deliver your work iteratively and incrementally.
You will ensure i) your code follows the standard processes in terms of quality, reusability, optimization, ii) your analyses are contextualized, data-driven, pertinent and impactful, iii) your deliverables are properly maintained and adapted to evolving requirements.
As you will investigate opportunities in various topics, you might get involved in area such as: Market Forecasting with ML models for product expansion; Market Health with ML benchmarking models based on minimization of error distribution; Audits with reinforcement control learning for improving data extraction and (pre-)Auditing; Document Processing with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) for documents validation.
About the Team
Backing Uber’s creativity with operational efficiency. This is the Team’s mission statement.
In essence, the Team helps Uber to scale and best serve its users by performing work around two main pillars i) Analytics & Automation - data science, data analysis, query & dashboard creation, automation of business process, ii) Process - design, execution & optimization of business processes.
Located in Krakow, the Team is centralizing work for Uber Rides & Uber Eats, covering two mega-regions, i) United States & Canada, ii) Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
This experience may also, going forward, open doors to plenty of new opportunities across the world, via the Uber Mobility Program.
We’re offering a hybrid model of working (50% based out of our Krakow office, 50% work from home).
What will you do?
- Facilitate business-critical deep-dive analysis, investigate opportunities to improve processes
- Identify patterns from large datasets, understand phenomena, analyze trends, build predictions
- Proceed to data mining, cleaning, exploration, visualization, deploy in automated environments
- Use existing features or build new algorithms to evaluate hypotheses (Feature Engineering)
- Train ML models, evaluate performance to make predictions (Predictive Modeling)
- Communicate findings to Stakeholders, adapting your communication to a variety of audiences
What you’ll need
- Understanding of statistical methods and experiment designs for analytical problems
- Keen sense of pattern recognition and anomaly detection, qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Understanding of algorithmic data models, data mining, experimental design and its analysis
- Skilled in SQL, R or Python (Pandas Library, basics of OOP and API endpoints)
- Hands-on experience in common ML frameworks, tools & libraries (Scipy, PyTorch, Tensorflow)
- Knowledge of ML methods (Neural Networks, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.)
- Ability to analyze sophisticated datasets and storytelling, knowledge in data visualization softwares
- Motivation to learn all along the way and improve continuously
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
*Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.