Director, Data Science - Rider + Uber for BusinessFull time
About the Role
Are you interested in driving business and product strategy? What about using data to answer difficult questions and come up with interesting insights? If so, we should chat. As a Director, Data Science, you will lead a large, complex team of top Data Scientists to provide data-driven insights to identify new opportunities to take our products to the next level.
What You’ll Do
- Lead a team of data scientists to deliver insights and solutions to support both the technology and understanding of customer support.
- Drive rigor in our data science approaches to customer support problems; these approaches include including machine learning, experimentation, causal learning, time series analysis, and natural language processing
- Work with a cross-functional team that includes product management, engineering, operations, and others to execute projects
- Use data to to solve ambiguous, meaningful business problems impacting our everyday customers
What You’ll Need
- Ph.D., M.S. or Bachelors degree in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with 5 years of people management experience
Bonus Points If
- Experience in leading data science teams, including mentoring and coaching people managers
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics
- Experience with experimental design, exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis, testing, and model development
- Proficient in both a data ETL language (e.g. SQL) and a scripting language like Python or R for data analysis
- Track record in prioritizing and driving multiple work-streams forward simultaneously
- Ability to empower a team while providing them with career paths that align with business goals
- Proven track record of collaborating with and influencing stakeholders
- Principled yet pragmatic, having conviction and being authentic in your approach, but situationally aware enough to adapt when needed.
- Sound business judgment, ability to influence others, and strong analytical thinking skills
- Outstanding storyteller with the ability to articulate a clear vision that balances principled decision-making, user empathy, and data analysis
About the Team
The Core Analytics & Science Team (CAS) is Uber’s largest data and applied science organization, covering both of Uber’s main lines of business as well as the underlying platform technologies that power those businesses. We are a key part of Uber’s cross-functional product development teams, helping to drive every stage of product development through data analytic, statistical, and algorithmic expertise. Here are the teams that make it happen:
Eats: Uber Eats is Uber’s ambitious and rapidly expanding on-demand food delivery business currently operating in more than 45 countries globally and is the largest outside of China. Data Scientist in Uber Eats solve many exciting problems in the Recommendation, Search and Knowledge Graph space.
Rides: Rides Analytics at Uber uses data to improve and automate all aspects of Uber’s core ridesharing products. For drivers, we are creating a seamless product experience for drivers across the driver journey: matching drivers to cars, onboarding onto our platform, creating a stress free trip experience. For Riders, building products that create an awesome experience for people who ride with Uber.
Uber Marketplace: It’s designed to move riders & drivers efficiently from where they are to where they want to go. Data Science is a key player in driver forecasting, dynamic pricing fares, matching driver/rider pricing, and overall marketplace health (platform data).
Platforms: Platform Analytics develops the common systems and technical foundations that power Uber’s trip experiences externally and core decision making systems internally. This team develops: the mapping services that perform travel time (ETA) prediction, route optimization, navigation, features and algorithms to improve pickup & dropoff experiences, and more; the Fares platform that calculates and serves prices to all our users; the machine learning and AI platforms; and Uber’s customer support and financial technology systems.
For New York, NY-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $257,000 per year - $285,500 per year.
For San Francisco, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $257,000 per year - $285,500 per year.
For Seattle, WA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $257,000 per year - $285,500 per year.
This job avilable in locations:
New York, New York | Seattle, Washington | San Francisco, California
For all US locations, you will be eligible to participate in Uber’s bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/us/en/careers/benefits/.