The Director, Data Science will play a critical role in developing and leading a data science strategy as part of the overarching People Analytics strategy to deliver robust people analytic solutions that drive key talent and business decisions.
Reporting to the AVP, People Analytics, this role requires an innovative and experienced leader with the confidence and capability to shape a forward-thinking People Analytics strategy with multiple facets. Through proactive, influential stakeholder management and business partnership, this leader will ensure that deep insights generated through sophisticated analytics translate into impact at scale in the organization. You’ll oversee the creation of the HR data science strategy and roadmap contributing to Cox’s People Analytics function of the future.
The leader in this role must have a track record of successfully managing a dynamic, expert HR data science team, largescale HR data science initiatives, and holding accountable multi-level stakeholders in a diverse, distributed organization with a broad portfolio, in a complex change management environment. Additional responsibilities include:
- Build strong HR Data Science Competency in the People Analytics organization. Develop strategy, build multi-year roadmap, and implement future state of HR Data Science
- Develop and lead a team of data science experts. Create vision and provide direct management and coaching for continual high-performance and impact. Provide guidance on project prioritization, resource allocation, and career development.
- Strategically guide and partner with the People Analytics leadership team to ensure data science initiatives and strategy serve the complex needs of the business and translate into actionable steps delivered by the dashboards and reporting team.
- Employ advanced data science techniques and modeling with various unstructured and structured data sources to predict critical business outcomes and explain and triage drivers of those outcomes.
- Lead data-driven workforce planning, including analyzing the total workforce cost and ensuring forecasting and scenario modeling is consistently performed, and results are communicated to stakeholders.
- Lead and partner closely with key business stakeholders and decision makers across the enterprise, including in HR technology, IBT (Enterprise IT), HR COEs and HR business partners, to evolve our talent data model and design consumable, high-impact dashboards, and visualizations.
- Partner with IBT team to develop and enhance HR data models in Cox platforms drive & deliver HR metrics, analysis & trends.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic counsel for other efforts that would benefit from HR Data Science: Prioritize and develop appropriate engagement model to support other efforts, ad hoc analytics, and leadership questions.
- Oversee the execution of foundational data, analytics, and reporting methodologies and integration to drive relevancy of people analytics and ease of use for end users.
- Oversee data analysis that will propel succession planning, workforce plans, hiring strategies, workforce reorganization, and empower HR to make sound strategic decisions.
- Use data science strategies and modeling techniques to provide predictive analysis and proactive metrics to HR Leadership to enhance data-driven business decisions.
- Establish and maintain repeatable, aligned technology and data patterns, and apply data-driven approaches to extract insights, support decision-making processes, and rapidly develop and deploy solutions employee engagement surveys.
- Automate recurring people analytics projects to deliver insight more regularly and scalable to leaders and stakeholders.
- Prioritize and lead existing high profile HR Data Science projects: Proactively identify, prioritize, and rally organization around additional Data Science opportunities based on business strategy.
- Establish consistent, valid, and reliable metrics and reporting that support advancing Cox’s business and people objectives.
- Adhere to data governance frameworks and policies to maintain data quality, integrity, and security.
- Stay current on evolving technologies, tools, and methodologies providing recommendations to AVP, People Analytics Evaluate and recommend adopting new technologies to improve efficiency, accuracy, and scalability of HR data science activities. Direct the implementation of advanced techniques, including predictive modeling, machine learning, and statistical analytics. Ensure compliance with data privacy regulations and best practices.
Required Skills & Experience
- BA/BS with 10+ years of professional experience in significant technical experience in an dashboards and reporting centric functional area, preferably in HR or equivalent combination of education and work experience (MS + 8 years of experience OR Ph.D. with 5+ years of experience OR 14+ years of relevant experience with no degree)
- Masters degree in quantitative field preferred
- 5+ years people leadership experience
- Previous management experience supervising a high performing people analytics/HR data science reporting team preferred.
- Excellent leadership and partnering skills required (partnering and leading peers and colleagues with no formal authority, influence without authority)
- Strong business acumen and strategic thinking required; ability to link People Analytics reporting with business outcomes
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to adapt to different levels within the organization
- Must possess an excellent ability to identify sources from advanced analytics to define paths and realize value
- Proven to have a deep understanding of fundamental machine-learning principles and familiar with machine-learning technologies and tools. Possesses strong leadership competencies including verbal and written communication and team collaboration skills
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Strong consultative skills and ability to make persuasive recommendations based on business rationale at the executive level
- Strong executive presence; ability to partner closely with Divisional leadership at multiple levels
- Ability and capacity for self-direction as well as the ability to work within various project teams
- Possess the ability to draw insights using data and to make meaningful business recommendations
- The integrity, maturity, and respect to handle and advise on extremely confidential, sensitive employee data
- Knowledge of Workday Analytics a strong plus
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments, multiple and conflicting priorities
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.