Director Data ScienceFull time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let’s lead the way together.
How will you make an impact in this role?
This position is within Model Risk Management Group (MRMG) in Global Risk and Compliance (GRC) unit at American Express and will report into VP, Model Risk Management, India. It is a people-leader role overseeing a team of data scientists and machine learning experts responsible for managing model risk management of company’s Generative AI use cases, specifically associated to the next generation Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning based models.
Model Risk Management Group (MRMG) is responsible for the model risk management of all American Express models.
- Conduct independent review of new “Generative AI” models and model changes including conceptual soundness and performance evaluation
- Evaluate model performance and appropriateness on an ongoing basis as part of ongoing monitoring crucial to driving insights for improvement in modeling and business decisions
- Evaluate, design, and improve key model risk management programs and processes
- Support regulatory exams and audit processes
- Conduct modeling analytics and topic research for effective model risk management
- Oversee and manage quality of the team’s work products
- Report key outcomes of model risk management activities to senior management
- Advance degree in computer science, machine learning, statistics, or equivalent quants discipline/MBA
- Proven leadership and team management skills to build a winning team and drive results
- A solid understanding of modeling, model risk management, and business analytics, preferably with 8+ years of relevant experience
- A self-starter with ability to identify and evaluate key analytical issues and conceptualize complex, abstract ideas into solid, tangible representations through reasoning, mathematics, and statistics
- Strong communication and writing skills; ability to explain complex model-related topics to partners and stakeholders who may not have a quantitative background
- Flexibility and a strong sense of discipline and responsibility to work with tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to build and manage sound working relationships internally and externally
Domain knowledge of targeting, prospecting, credit, or fraud risk a plus Deep analytical expertise or modeling experience with an ability to translate the knowledge to action
- Knowledge of the following is a must: common machine learning algorithms (e.g., gradient boosting, neural network, natural language processing), banking and retail lending business, model building process and system implementation
- Experience in large data processing and handling is a plus. Familiar with big data platform and its applications, such as Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark, AWS.
Knowledge of Platforms:
- AXP Model Interfaces, Machine Learning Studio, AWS, Marketing/ Credit/ Risk Scoring or Deployment Platforms,
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
- Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
- Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
- Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage
We back our colleagues and their loved ones with benefits and programs that support their holistic well-being. That means we prioritize their physical, financial, and mental health through each stage of life. Benefits include:
- Competitive base salaries
- Bonus incentives
- Support for financial-well-being and retirement
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability benefits (depending on location)
- Flexible working model with hybrid, onsite or virtual arrangements depending on role and business need
- Generous paid parental leave policies (depending on your location)
- Free access to global on-site wellness centers staffed with nurses and doctors (depending on location)
- Free and confidential counseling support through our Healthy Minds program
- Career development and training opportunities
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.