What you’ll do…
It’s an exciting time to join our Walmart journey, we are seeking a Staff Data Scientist. At Walmart, technology empowers us and people lead. We believe new technologies will enhance the associate and customer experience in our stores. You will be working on future looking initiatives that is targeted at improving in store customer experience for the 240+ million Walmart customers that shop at our stores. The mission is to create step change in-store experiences, leveraging emerging technology to help define and deliver on evolving customer expectations. Its success requires a cross- functional, mission-based team that is highly entrepreneurial, collaborative and passionate about solving the unsolved problems. As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will be designing, training and deploying state-of-art AI models in real-world production environment. In conjunction with multiple product and technology groups, you will work to create a best-in-class consumer experience in the physical retail space.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if….
- Experience in shipping computer vision products to thousands of customers or have started a new line of product.
- Experience with complex image or video analytic pipelines
- Experience in machine learning development life cycle
- Expertise in some of the following fields: computer vision (object detection, tracking, scene understanding), machine learning.
You’ll make an impact by…
- Developing computer vision algorithms and machine learning models to enhance different customer facing application.
- Providing expertise and guidance on all technical aspects of development, including requirements, design, and implementation.
- Ensuring engineering and computer vision best practices, so that the team follows a structured and efficient approach to their projects.
What you’ll do…
- Understand industry & company-wide trends to help assess & develop new technologies.
- Research, design, develop, analyze and optimize computer vision algorithms in areas related to object detection, tracking, product identification and verification, scene understanding.
- Write product or system development code. Review code and computer vision algorithms or model developed by other developers to provide feedback to ensure best practices (model robustness, model generalization, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Effectively communicate complex features and systems in detail. Align with peers. Summarize learnings, take-aways and recommendations in a succinct way to executive leadership.
- Partner & collaborate with organization leaders to help improve the level of performance of the team & organization.
What you’ll bring…
- 7+ years machine learning experience, PhD or MA/MS in related Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, OR 5+ years industry experience
- Experience leading projects with industry-wide impact
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning, deep learning, computer vision
- Significant experience with advanced data pipeline, preferable with video or images
- Significant experience in programming languages with a technical background
- You are a team player - that is, you’re a nice person - see no ego.
- Highly motivated and independent; good at prioritization and results oriented.
- A self-learner: ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs, integrate multiple tools together to solve business problems.
- Proficient in scripting and automation with an emphasis on integration.
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert’s and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
- Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field.
- Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2 years' experience in an analytics related field.
- Option 3: 6 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)