About Grocery Outlet:
Our Mission: Touching lives for the better Our Vision: Touching lives by being the first choice for bargain-minded consumers in the S. Our Values & Behaviors: Achievement, Diversity, Entrepreneurship, Family, Fun, Integrity & Service
About the Team:
Our Exclusive Store Brands team’s mission is to create a distinctive value driven private label program to WOW our existing customers with everyday available value, unique offerings, and seasonal solutions to further enhance our in-store treasure hunt experience. We strategically identify white space opportunities for Exclusive Store Brands to add value, analyzing data, partnering with internal stakeholders and external suppliers, to make key strategic decisions for the Exclusive Store Brands portfolio. Our passion and energy promote a creative and growth-oriented environment within the unique culture of Grocery Outlet. The members of our team are resourceful, critical thinkers that pride themselves on integrity, efficiency, and collaboration. We work closely with our Independent Operators as well as our Purchasing and Planning teams to complement our existing opportunistic buying strategy while enhancing our existing ongoing assortment.
About the Role:
You will have primary responsibility of turning complex and disparate data into actionable insights and recommendations, using internal data, supplier proposals and external syndicated and subscription data. You will be responsible for developing standardized analytical tools that can efficiently handle complex business award scenarios and design to value optimization to maximize profitability. Additionally, you will be responsible for designing and implementing automation tools to streamline operations and improve overall efficiencies in our Exclusive Store Brands activities. This role is a unique opportunity to join a new team chartered with developing the foundation and future of private label at Grocery Outlet. The Data Scientist Manager reports to the Sr. Director, Exclusive Store Brands.
About the Role:
- Responsible for building efficient financial models that support competitive sourcing negotiating events, ability to challenge financial assumptions when needed.
- Gather and consolidate bid data and analyze complex supplier proposals, including cost inputs, drivers and logistics impacts, making award recommendations to Exclusive Store Brands leadership and key stakeholders
- Ability to interpret market shifts using third-party indexes on resin, commodities, and currencies and calculating that impact on existing and future business contracts.
- Create clean sheet models on key categories, to allow for component analysis, commodity benchmarking and tolling Design and implement automated tools to streamline sourcing bid processes and increase operational efficiencies.
- Create automated tools to monitor Exclusive Store Brands category and item performance across the network, assessing store distribution and price parity to discount competition, recommending changes to the Exclusive Store Brands team for implementation with the independent operator community.
- Create clear and insightful data visualizations, including preparing reports and dashboards that facilitate data-driven decision-making in the Exclusive Store Brands department to communicate findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, looking for continuous improvement opportunities, acting as a problem-solver for the business, using data as an investigative methodology and automation as a systematic solution.
- Assist in building financial decks to summarize Exclusive Store Brands category performance, cost analysis, and other key financial metrics, including collaborating with finance, purchasing and strategy teams to gather data and insights for financial reporting purposes.
- Perform ad hoc category or business analysis and support for stakeholders across the company, becoming a key thought partner with the business.
- Create and deliver presentations that effectively communicate complex analytical findings and business recommendations that contribute to the development of persuasive narratives that support strategic decision-making.
About The Pay:
- Base Salary Range: $100,000 - $125,000 Annually
- Annual Bonus Program
- 401(k) Profit Sharing
- Medical, Dental, Vision & More!
Final compensation will be determined based upon experience and skills and may vary based on location.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Analytics, Bus Econ or Liberal
- 10+ years of complex data analytics and financial modeling for multi-business award
- Strong analytical capabilities—takes data driven approach to problems with an ability to quickly model financial impacts and identify opportunities. Expert Excel skills required.
- Experience managing and leading projects and training in both a remote and in-person
- Action-oriented, self-starter with courage to lead change, and implement operational
- Strategic and structured thinker—ability to quickly understand sales drivers in a business, using data to identify opportunities and solutions to make recommendations to the business.
- Collaborative worker—quickly builds trusted relationships with internal business partners at the corporate level across finance, purchasing and planning.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, especially in front of peers and executive audiences. Strong PowerPoint skills required.
- Experience working within a mainframe ERP system a plus as well as multiple data