Data ScientistFull time
Loop is in an unparalleled position to provide data to our merchants that no one else can replicate. Data will be at the core of everything we do and some of our most critical work as we grow. Our future is to create data-based products that use modern techniques to deliver data and invaluable insights. We’re establishing the conditions to allow anyone to answer most of their business questions independently, and you’ll contribute to the frameworks and culture that reward the effective utilization of data across the organization.
The Data Team is part of the Engineering department and is responsible for analytics, data platforms and data engineering, and data science. Our work mainly involves:
- Building enterprise-wide data models for on-demand, tactical, strategic, and self-service data analysis
- Maintaining, updating, and expanding the data platform
- Developing data products
- Conducting advanced analytics initiatives for internal and external users
As part of the Data Team, the Analytics Team works in a hybrid operational model performing analyses for specific business functions such as Marketing, Merchant Success, Product, and Finance. The data used in this work comes from dbt models curated by the Analytics Engineering team, and depending on scope, recurrence, and audience, results are usually shared using either Hex or Looker.
As a Data Scientist at Loop, you’ll significantly impact our ability to solve merchant problems and fulfill merchant needs. Your work interpreting and synthesizing large-scale data and outputs will guide business decisions made by internal stakeholders at all levels. You will be successful in this role if you’re self-motivated and can run projects independently while collaborating with team members and business stakeholders. Success in this role also includes partnering with stakeholders and deep diving into business problems while simplifying and communicating complex analyses into easily accessible and impactful terms in written and verbal formats.
Loop HQ is a state-of-the-art office located in Columbus, Ohio, and more than half of our team works remotely across the United States and Canada. You can join us in the Columbus office or stay fully remote in this role.
Our tech stack: Fivetran, dbt, Snowflake, Looker, Hex
What You’ll Do:
- Extract data from various sources, perform exploratory data analysis, and cleanse, massage, and aggregate data.
- Develop quantitative analysis, tools, ad hoc reports, and models to support business decision-making.
- Utilize statistical concepts and descriptive statistics to understand and describe relationships in data, adding confidence to our analysis.
- Build predictive models and complex descriptive analytics, such as segmentations and hypothesis testing.
- Partner with Data Engineering and Analytics Engineering to implement analytic insights and recommendations into business processes.
- Write high-quality code (i.e., reliable, readable, efficient, testable), provide quality code reviews, and create comprehensive tests and documentation.
- Have a good understanding of general business trends and directions to put your work in a broad business context.
- 3+ years of experience in data science, decision science, or similar quantitative fields.
- 3+ years of experience with statistical or scripting software such as Python or R applied to data and statistical analysis.
- 2+ years of experience writing and optimizing complex SQL.
- Statistical modeling and data analysis experience, e.g., significance testing, regression modeling, decision trees, and k-means clustering.
- Familiarity with advanced statistical methods (Bayesian, GLM, time series) or machine learning (boosting, CART, neural networks, SVM).
- Experience finding, cleaning, and manipulating data from multiple sources to build analytical data sets.
- Experience defining simple, intuitive, and actionable metrics to focus decision-making.
- An ability and interest in working in a fast-paced, ambiguous, and rapidly changing environment.
- Experience working at an e-commerce company.
- Experience with analytics visualization platforms like Looker or Tableau.
- Background working in an Agile environment.
$116,000 - $174,000 a year
- We know that making decisions about your career and compensation is a huge deal. Because of that, we’re incredibly thoughtful about our compensation strategy. We want you to feel safe and excited, but also comfortable with the compensation package of a startup. We’ve outlined some important information for you here, but please know there’s a lot more to compensation than we can cover in this job posting.
- The posted salary range is the base salary for this opportunity. The salary range is subject to change, and may be adjusted in the future.
- The actual annual salary paid for this position will be based on several factors, including, but not limited to: your prior experience and skills related to the position, geographic location, company needs, current market demands, and your total compensation goals.
- Great humans deserve great benefits. At Loop, you’ll be eligible for benefits such as: medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible PTO, company holidays, sick & safe leave, parental leave, 401k, monthly wellness benefit, home workstation benefit, phone/internet benefit, and equity.
In a perfect world, Loop wouldn’t exist. If we had our way, we’d live in a world where we’re mindful about how we consume, we love every product we own, and we share values with the brands who create them. In reality, commerce isn’t perfect and often breaks. Loop creates second chances.
We’re starting by revolutionizing the post-purchase experience. We’ve taken one of the most fragile commerce interactions - returns - and turned it into something consumers actually love, and that deepens our connection to brands and products.
We take connection seriously on the inside, too. We’re building a work experience that allows you to Be A Human First and prioritizes empathy and wellbeing. We view Loop as a special place in your career to shape the future of an industry and become a better person while doing it. You can grow faster here in a shorter amount of time - we’ll give you space and trust you to fill it.