Data Scientist (L5)Full time
Netflix is one of the world’s leading entertainment services with over 247 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, films and games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can play, pause and resume watching as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, and can change their plans at any time.
In Nov 2022, we launched a new lower-priced, ad-supported tier for our customers. We are continuing to build on our goal of providing more choices for consumers and a premium, better-than-linear TV brand experience for advertisers. While building out this offering, it is critical to ensure that we are maximizing the comprehensive member experience.
The Product Connections team aims to do precisely this. Part of the Product Data Science & Engineering org, Product Connections partners with diverse stakeholders across the business to 1) solve enduring problems at the intersections of domains and 2) optimize how emerging business areas interact with our core product.
We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist with strong causal inference, experimentation, and historical Ad experience to improve our understanding of, elevate, and evolve the ad offerings for our members. In this role, you will drive a foundational understanding of how members interact with our Ads service, build capabilities to optimize the ads experience, and support experimentation to bring these experiences to life. Some questions you might answer include “How do we show the most relevant ads for our members?”, “How do we identify, measure, and resolve where ads are giving members a bad experience?” and “When, where, and how many ads should we be showing our members?”
Working in a highly collaborative and cross-functional environment, you will be responsible for identifying high-value investment areas and driving projects from inception to completion. This role will partner closely with technical and business-facing stakeholders, so strong communication and an eye for determining what matters the most are essential for success.
In this role, you will:
- Evolve our Ads experience to shape how our members experience Netflix.
- Develop frameworks that help us decide trade-offs and other critical decisions to optimize our member experiences.
- Establish strong partnerships with stakeholders to shape the intersection of Ads with our core product, leveraging methods such as experimentation and metric development.
- Facilitate ownership and accountability by ensuring that the team produces trustworthy and high-quality outputs that influence the decisions and direction of Ads at Netflix.
- Be flexible to changing circumstances - The Netflix Ads offering is evolving rapidly, and this role will help shape that evolution.
To be successful in this role, you have:
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics or related quantitative field.
- 5+ years of relevant experience focused on building and delivering real-world machine learning models with demonstrated impact.
- Strong statistical knowledge and intuition - ideally utilized in experimentation or other product analytics settings.
- Strong Quantitative Programming skills in a language such as Python.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. You have a track record of being a trusted partner to stakeholders with diverse backgrounds and roles.
- You’ve successfully operated in a company where collaboration and integration with other teams across multiple disciplines is essential to your team’s success.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and drive product change across various stakeholders, particularly in complex or ambiguous problem spaces.
- Ability to work independently and drive your own projects.
- Embodies Netflix values while bringing a new perspective to continue to improve our culture.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - 750,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
Similar jobs from Netflix
Similar senior level jobs
$239 000 - $483 000San Jose, CA, United States