The Wall Street Journal is seeking a data scientist who will play a crucial role in driving our newsroom audience-data strategy. In this role, you will evolve our newsroom audience metrics, tools, forecasts and insights capabilities using advanced statistical and machine learning methodologies. This job involves in-depth data analysis, data modeling, strategic thinking and a strong knowledge of audience segmentation and engagement practices. The results of your work will impact the way we measure, create, produce and distribute our journalism.
You will sit within the Journal’s newsroom data-science and insights team, which works across coverage, audience, product and platform strategy. The team focuses on the best way to bring digital innovation to the newsroom and works with our editors as well as product and engineering teams on creating great news experiences that resonate with our audiences, current and future. You will be a close partner to audience, search, social, content and product teams, as well as interfacing with other data scientists and engineers across the business.
This position will be based in our New York office.
- Translate newsroom and business questions into problems to be solved with data and machine learning
- Ingest, standardize, integrate and model audiences using web analytics data
- Formalize data-driven frameworks in alignment with newsroom audience strategy to measure content success; deploy self-serve dashboards and tools to visualize and quantify performance
- Develop explanatory and predictive algorithms to optimize content for distribution on and off platform
- Devise and lead data-driven research and experimentation programs to help newsroom and product teams engage audiences
- Present and share data-science work with newsroom and business partners
- Be an advocate for high quality, trustworthy and insightful data
- A minimum of 3+ years of experience executing and leading data-science projects in areas relevant to the work of the WSJ newsroom data team. Those with a PhD in a quantitative field will require less experience, while candidates with B.S. or M.S. degrees may require more.
- Strong proficiency in Python, git, SQL, a working knowledge of relational databases, and experience using Python packages like pandas, scikit-learn, numpy, tensorflow, etc.
- Broad knowledge of machine-learning approaches, both supervised and unsupervised, as well as experience applying NLP models to various content types.
- Excellent project-management and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication, along with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically
Standout candidates will have strengths in one or more areas of the following:
- Experience with data orchestration tools like dbt or Airflow
- Experience with streaming data
- Experience at a media company
- Knowledge of web tracking platforms like Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, Parse.ly or Chartbeat
- Experience with data visualization tools like Looker data studio or Tableau
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Reasonable accommodation: Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Reasonable Accommodation” in the subject line and provide a brief description of the type of assistance you need. This inbox will not be monitored for application status updates.
Reasonable accommodation: Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put “Reasonable Accommodation” in the subject line and provide a brief description of the type of assistance you need. This inbox will not be monitored for application status updates.
Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate’s experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including “elective” benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce..
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world’s top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.