Data ScientistFull time
About the Position
As we build the future of consumer insurance in a modern age, data is at the core of everything that we do. The role requires team members who are adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for optimization and can leverage appropriate models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. Our team uses a variety of data mining and analysis methods, a variety of data tools, builds and implements models, develops algorithms, and creates simulations. At Assurance, we hire experts in their field, and we give them the independence and trust to build based on their expertise.
This position is responsible for writing production-ready code to include testing and maintenance infrastructure; you must be able to put models and analysis into production with no support from engineering (we own our stack end to end). The ideal candidate has a proven ability to drive business results with data-based insights, and is comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes. You’re capable of getting data for analysis on your own, without reliance on engineering, and you can build professional dashboards as standalone software products and tools. We’re growing at a rapid pace, so it’s important that you embrace the opportunity to blaze your own trail.
To be successful in this role, you must possess the following:
- Proficiency in either Python or R, and expertise in SQL.
- Experience working with AWS or another cloud-based computing platform.
- Experience and working knowledge of data infrastructure, pipelines, and advanced data manipulation.
- Experience with BI tools like Tableau or Looker (preferred), or any other industry tool such Qlik, PowerBI, Spotfire, etc.
- Excellent communication ability – you can explain your work in a way that anyone on the team can understand, and you can frame problems in a way that ensures the right question is being asked.
- Business Acumen – you are always eager to understand how the business works, and more specifically, how your work impacts the business.
- Enthusiastic yet humble – you are excited about the work you do, but you are also humble enough to embrace feedback – you don’t need to be the smartest person in the room.
- Bachelors degree in mathematics, statistics, data science or related field of study.
- Interest in working in a fast-paced environment where priorities can shift rapidly as we corner opportunity.
- Ability to work independently, with little oversight or guidance.
- The following additional experience is desired:
- Experience retraining a model within a few days or update a model within one day.
- Capable of performing an in-depth analysis and summarizing findings in one day.
- Comfortable having conversations with our executive team and non-technical team members to distill down their needs and to deliver actionable insights.
Choose Assurance Because:
· Exceptional base salary plus bonus structure · Comprehensive benefits which include, medical, dental, vision, 401K and more · Unlimited paid vacation, sick leave, plus paid holidays. · Growth opportunities, advance your career rapidly, we offer leadership development training and promote from within. · Ongoing coaching and career development including individual and group coaching sessions. · Fast paced, high performance environment.