Climate Data ScientistFull time
Unleash Your Potential
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The Leidos Civil Group Climate team, part of the Climate, Energy, and Environment Division, is seeking a Climate Data Scientist. This is a tight-knit and nimble team with demonstrated funding success.
**This is a remote position and may be performed anywhere in the U.S. Must be able to pass government background checks required to obtain access to, and conduct work on, U.S. Government installations.
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly-regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. Our customers take on the toughest challenges out there, and at times need a helping hand from specialists in their fields.
We combine our scale as a Fortune 500 company with the deep technical knowledge of our core capabilities and the expertise of our talented and diverse workforce to deliver mission-centric innovations. For each of these core capabilities, we have developed proven, repeatable processes that help us deliver agile, cost-effective solutions to foster a better world. To explore and learn more, click here.
Your Main Objective:
The work involves building applied scientific tools for a number of federal agencies, covering the full project lifecycle from: proposal, prototyping, customer feedback, revision, and delivery of quality-controlled finished software. The incumbent will work on multiple projects across federal contracts with agencies including: NASA, NOAA, USGS, and the USACE.
Are you ready to join a team dedicated to a mission?
Join our team and discover a culture of collaboration, innovation, diversity, trust, caring management, communication transparency, work-life balance, and overall job satisfaction. Share your resume with us today!
What Sets You Apart:
- MSc. in a technical field involving Earth observation and 4 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency with:
- Remotely sensed geospatial data (satellite, airborne)
- Geospatial tools: GDAL, geopandas, rasterio, xarray
- Spatial data: projections, interpolation
- GIS: ArcGIS Pro or similar
- Databases: SQL
- Version control - Git
- Numerical optimization: solving linear systems
- Machine learning: neural networks, random forests
- Using cloud resources, such as AWS, for parallel and high-performance computing
- Established record of technical writing of proposals, reports, and user manuals
You Might Also Have:
- Ph.D. in a technical field involving Earth observation
- Deep experience instead of proficiency in any or all of the above tools
- Industry & academic experience
- Publications in high-impact journals
- Cryospheric science and field work experience; remote sensing validation using in situ measurements
- Experience with:
- MATLAB and other high-level languages
- Efficient spatial storage - HDF5 and NetCDF.
- Multi-sensor fusion
- Energy-balance modeling
- A variety of sensors - hyperspectral, multispectral, microwave, & thermal.
- Mobility applications - optimal route-finding strategies
- Agile software development