You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
Data and analytics are central to SunLife’s strategic priorities and purpose – critical enablers in our push to transform our business and drive market differentiating client experience and growth. The Chief Data & Analytics Office is an entrepreneurial team leading Sun Life Canada’s utilization of data as a strategic asset. We are fixated on delivering value to our clients & business, transforming our business, and evolving the capabilities & impact of our data & analytics programs.
Reporting to the Chief Data & Analytics Officer, the Assistant Vice President (AVP) Data Science CoE will lead a team responsible for delivering AI/ML solutions to create client and business value in support of Sun Life’s strategic purpose. This leader will champion AI/ML across our business, engaging our exec team and business community, leading the realization of AI/ML as a transformational force. In the role, the AVP will drive identification and prioritization of opportunities; oversee strategy, drive execution and measurement of impact, and manage the lifecycle of existing assets.
The team focuses on the application of AI/ML in 3 key areas:
Generative AI Program – building upon several experiments in the GenAI space, standing up a program to focus our efforts leveraging Generative AI across the Canadian business.
‘One Sun’ initiatives – delivering solutions to support cross-business priorities, with a primary emphasis on understanding client behaviour and leveraging insights to support a unified client experience and client engagement.
Enabling specific business unit priorities – partner with business units to deliver solutions in support of their key priorities such as lead assignment, sales enablement & optimization, pricing and underwriting
What do you need to succeed?
- You are a strong people leader with deep experience attracting, engaging, and retaining data science talent.
- Passionate about building a world class, high performing data science team that is obsessed with driving client & business outcomes.
- You bring a combination of savvy, strategic mindset & delivery excellence. You are a thought leader that empowers others, encourages creativity and continuous improvement.
- Great communicator & relationship builder – you connect the dots and identify opportunities to collaborate and leverage AI & ML to support our purpose, drive client outcomes and deliver business value.
- Business Partner – you bring strong business acumen, understanding & empathy necessary to uncover the art of the possible & pragmatic to build and implement solutions in partnership.
- Executive savvy & change champion - You have experience navigating complex, matrixed organizations, leading with influence and driving change. Your gravitas inspires confidence in your ability to drive change
- Technology collaborator – you build close partnership with technology teams and deliver in a CI/CD manner
Demonstrated execution excellence delivering applied Machine Learning
- Drive execution excellence in AI/ML projects, ensuring they are completed on time and within budget.
- Implement best practices and agile methodologies to optimize project execution and delivery.
- New Build – You pragmatically take a problem to outcome, coordinating the build and design of AI & ML solutions at scale. You ensure model are robust, accurate, and scalable for real-world applications You have experience navigating regulatory and risk management practices common in financial institutions.
- Solution Sherpa – you coach and guide your team & our partners through the development of innovative solutions, empowering the team, while being willing and capable to get into the weeds if necessary. Your hands on experience commands respect from your team
- Innovator – you foster a culture of innovation and experimentation to identify new opportunities for AI/ML applications. You stay at the forefront of AI/ML trends and research to drive innovation
- Model Management – you manage a complex roster of models & address the complexities of model lifecycle management across legacy analytical platforms. You Implement rigorous quality assurance processes to ensure the reliability and safety of AI/ML systems. You establish measurement and monitoring systems to track the performance of AI/ML solutions. You Implement continuous improvement processes based on data-driven insights.
- Outcome obsession – you are fixated on driving impact, have demonstrated the enormous power and potential brought by AI & ML, and have implemented value driven prioritization & post facto measurement
- Vendor and Partner Management - Evaluate and manage third-party vendors and partnerships for AI/ML solutions.
- You have 10+ years of hands on data science/advanced analytics experience, 5+ years in people leadership.
- Proven track record delivering in large organizations, insurance & financial services experience will be an asset but not required.
- Experience in leading high performing teams and professional knowledge workers.
- Advanced degree in quantitative field or business (MBA) is an asset.
Reasons why should you join us under the sun
- We’re honoured to be recognized as a 2023 Best Workplaces in Ontario by Great Place to Work® Canada
- We’re proud to be recognized as a company with a 2023 Most Trusted Executive team by Great Place to Work® Canada
- Sun Life ranked one of the 2023 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World on the Corporate Knights’ 2023
- Being part of our Analytics community, where we share best practices and broaden skill-sets
- A caring, supportive, and inclusive culture
- Flexible Benefits from the day you join to meet the needs of you and your family.
- Wellness programs that support the three pillars of your health – mental, physical, and financial
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
140,000/140 000 - 230,000/230 000