At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
This position is a Foster City, CA based position (hybrid role, 3 days a week in the office)
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
As an Associate Director, Global Data Science, you would start as an individual contributor reporting to Director, Marketing Sciences. Based in Foster City, CA; you would be responsible for leading end ot end execution of all kinds of advanced analytics and data science projects to generate Insights that are impactful for global market across TAs. The person will work closely with integrated insights, commercial ops, patient engagement and omni channel analytics leads. Hands on functional expertise and highly collaborative mindset required.
- Bring thought leadership and thorough understanding of statistics, primarily predictive algorithms & methodologies, to construct robust propensity models for impactful commercial use
- Be a partner in driving the industrialization of predictive sciences to help understand the patient journey and treatment landscape assessment robustly for the Global markets (primarily Oncology and Virology)
- Create data science products that can be refreshed, reproduced and replicated
- Be a hands-on leader who knows how to code and debug
- Partner with the data office to create ARDs for a broad use case
- Refresh and measure propensity models for impact
- Create advanced visualization to demystify complexity and to make insights actionable
- Partner with global teams to cross-pollinate ideas and replicate successful models from other countries and vice versa
- Foster a culture of measurement and impact and incorporate feedback to continuously improve model performance
- Thorough understanding of datasets including their strengths and limitations such as capture rate, projections and acceptable error ranges for different therapeutic spaces
- Create patient journeys that are descriptive, predictive and prescriptive, based on the brand’s strategic objectives
- Excellent communication and ability to abstract backend complexity where it is not needed
- Bachelor’s Degree and Ten Years’ Experience OR
- Masters' Degree and Eight Years’ Experience OR
- PhD and Two Years’ Experience
- Experience working with standard pharma and consumer data types and sources such as patient claims, Xponent, Plantrak, sales, activity
- Expertise in commonly used pharma datasets such as IQVIA, Symphony, Komodo claims, Optum, Definitive health, Health Verity, EMR/HER
- Expertise in Python including commonly used data science libraries such as numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, seaborn, networkx, etc.
- Expertise in ML algorithms such as RNN, CNN, Tree-based algorithms (RF, XGB, LightGBM), SMOTE, etc.
- Familiarity with MLOps solutions / providers
- Expertise in cloud-based technologies and tools such
- Experience in building, implementing and using AI-based solutions with proven business impact
- Demonstrated product mindset
- Familiarity with product management principles
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong team player. Inclusive, objective, cross-functional, team member with a positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Understanding of emerging data science capabilities (fields, methodologies, algorithms, etc.) and potential application in pharma/health care
- Masters degree in a quantitative field with at least 8 years of relevant data science/analytics experience OR Undergraduate degree in a quantitative field with at least 10 years of relevant data science/analytics experience
Results orientation. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment. He/She/They will have a strong drive to meet and exceed goals, even under adverse circumstances, and is willing to take ownership of problems and make decisions in order to move forward. The candidate will be adept at clearly defining objectives and priorities and establishing appropriate milestones through a strong understanding of the market and innovative approaches. He/She/They will assign accountability and incorporate disciplined processes to ensure success and nimbly handle ‘derailments’ with contingency plans and coordination.
Team leadership. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to build, develop, and motivate a team as evidenced by effective hiring, coaching, and mentoring of direct reports. Additionally, this individual will have a track record of successfully leveraging diversity of thought to achieve the highest level of results. The ideal candidate will develop an inclusive culture comfortable with challenging current market paradigms to achieve and exceed goals. He/She/They will also have constructed an appropriate succession plan and process.
Strategic Orientation. The successful candidate will be able to articulate evolving priorities for the business, identify market opportunities and adapt short-term plans. This includes the ability to strategically assess customer needs and build/execute specific, segmented strategies to win business across a diverse set of customers. The successful candidate will have passion for, and success in, developing commercial strategies that have measurable business impact.
Collaboration and Influence. The qualified candidate must be able to influence without ownership, which they will do by demonstrating competence and confidence, being personally accessible and likable, being a good listener, use fact-based persuasion, passion, and persistence as appropriate to the audience and issue at stake. Gaining the support and involvement of key internal constituencies will be critical to success, as will influencing those important constituencies external to the company. The successful candidate must therefore have excellent skills at influencing
People Leader Accountabilities:
Create Inclusion - knowing the business value of diverse teams, modelling inclusion, and embedding the value of diversity in the way they manage their teams.
Develop Talent - understand the skills, experience, aspirations and potential of their employees and coach them on current performance and future potential. They ensure employees are receiving the feedback and insight needed to grow, develop, and realize their purpose.
Empower Teams - connect the team to the organization by aligning goals, purpose, organizational objectives and holding to account. They provide the support needed to remove barriers and connect their team to the broader ecosystem.
The salary range for this position is: $185,895.00 - $240,570.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*. For additional benefits information, visit: